08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Unhappy SES-Lean both banks

Looking for some advice before I pay to have car fixed. Fri night after work my car began running very poorly with an unsteady and very low idle, wanting to die at stop lights, and very poor throttle response. After the 10 min ride home the SES light came on. It started running better the next day when i was trying to diagnose, but i didn't drive it this weekend anymore. Took it to the shop this morning and the codes are lean both banks--history not current. it idled rough for a bit when i started it this morning, but ran ok. Tech at the shop has checked for vacuum leaks and found none. I replaced fuel filter 2 months ago. He is going to monitor fuel pressure and is suggesting a faulty fuel pump. Not the answer i'm wanting!!! Car is 02 TA w/ 89000 miles. Any other ideas as to what this could be--dirty MAF possibly? Used to run K&N filter but replaced with amsoil dry filter several months ago; MAF has not been cleaned for about 2 years. Give me some things to rule out before fuel pump please! thanks!

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

still running your stock maf?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

usually, if it's both banks, it's either a vacuum leak, or fuel pump starting to give up. most common place for a vacuum leak is the PCV to intake hose. real short, about 1.5" long. rots on the bottom side.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

Update for anyone interested... just talked to the tech again and sure enough fuel pressure is dropping to around 30ish.....time for a pump Thanks for the responses; and yes its a stock MAF w/screen intact. $950ish w/parts and 4 hrs labor sound right w/dropping tank?

Wow is it that high now??? Sounds like alot to me for a fuel pump change.

If you were close enough I'd tell ya to grab the pump of your choice, slip me $100 and I'd fix it for you in an afternoon.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sadly, that's about what I see people getting quoted for pumps. Very high IMO but the OEM pump itself is very expensive and I'm sure the labor books show quite a few hours for this swap since the rear has to be lowered. You could do the swap yourself in an afternoon with basic hand tools. You can also go with a racetronix kit and have a better pump for less money than the stocker.

Thread Information