SES goes out after 2 days

If the SES light goes out after a couple days, is it worth worrying about? It still lights briefly at startup.

Also, do the people at Advanced Auto generally know how to check codes? Or am I likely to have a totally unqualified person playing with the ECM?

Thanks!

Personally it would drive me crazy not knowing what the code was. Go ahead and have them read it, it'll be stored in memory even after the light goes off, won't hurt the car - and write down the code and post it.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The light is supposed to come on when starting the car up as do the other lights like ABS-airbag,etc.They are performing self checks-anyway checking the codes does not allow any inputs back into the computer-it can't screw anything up.

The code set was P1416 - Auxiliary emission Controls. The guy at Advanced Auto said he got htis once and it was his gas cap. My light went out the day after a I got another tank of gas so maybe this was it.

Overall the car runs fine except it's runs a little rough when first started until it gets warm.

I'm thinking it might need new plugs since I have 75K and 8 years on the originals.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Yes, after that long, it's time for new plugs and wires.

New plugs wouldn't hurt - but P1416 is Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System Bank 2, probably not your gas cap, that's usually P0440.

www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1373

SOmeone was saying a diverter valve my be bad. Anbody have a picture of what this might look like? I haven't a clue where it to find it.

I did notice my PCV line was unhooked from the PCV valve. I had been pulling on the foam padding trying to figure out if that was the PCV Valve a few days before I got the SES light. Last night I went to put a new PCV in and noticed it was unhooked. It runs much smoother now when it's cold.

Thread Information