Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Serious Question NO INSULTS PLZ

I know I am going to get a lot of crap for doing this or attempting to do this...but I want to rig a trailer hitch on my ws6. Anyone got any tips on how to do it? Just a small small trailer is all it will ever pull. I've seen lot of other cars with them.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I'm sure you could Pm one of these guys.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...=trailer+hitch

red
    1999 trans am convert

Got this laying around-you could pull a light trailer or take two bikes to lakefront for the day.Came off my '95 vert.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

What's the rating on that? 1,000 or 2,000?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Just out of curiosity.... what are you going to be hauling/towing?

red
    1999 trans am convert

Looked it up-Drawtite says 2000.Part number 24585.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

How much you want for it edbird? I am going to buy an ultra lightweight 5x8 aluminum flatbed utility trailer to haul my quad around to races and such. As it is I have to borrow my dads f-150 and hook it up to a 6x16 or something like that box trailer. It has two tanks and he always wants me to have them full when I return it. Pisses me off. It gets worse gas milage than I would if I only used first gear.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

dude, read your post i thought, man, he's wide open for this one.

seriously though, i felt the same way when looking for my hitch. Hands down the draw tite is the way to go. I didn't even have to jack the car up. Of course i'm stock ride height though.

You will need a dremel tool or angle grinder, something small. I had to make a couple holes larger, just like the directions said. other than that, piece of cake and when you don't have the receiver in. You can hardly see it.

All I could find was a class 1 hitch, that's like 200 lbs tongue weight and 2k lbs trailer weight.

search the site for trailer hitch and you'll see pics of people pulling small fishing boats.

I have seen a number of Firebirds in my area pulling small fishing boats, and i'm not talking 10' John boats either.

red
    1999 trans am convert

Smkn TA:I bought it at etrailer.com and remember I paid around 135.00 -they now are 143.00. I'd take 75.00 but you would have to cover shipping which may be considerable-'
    Also the mounting hardware are nowhere to be found.I think it was 4 bolts and nuts and four flat metal pieces to fit in the frame-I don't remember for sure, although I did install it.You can probably go to any U-haul (they sell and install these) and get hardware.Why don't you look into that if you're still interested and post or PM me your zip and I'll see what shipping might be.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I put a class 1 hitch on my '98, it pulled my 1700 lb trailer (see pictures in the new black birds unite thread) no problem. I got 20 MPG pulling it on a 600 mile round trip to WI in 2001. I bought it from U-Haul and installed it myself. Really was steath, without the ?drawbar you couldn't see it unless you got down and looked.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by edbird View Post
    Smkn TA:I bought it at etrailer.com and remember I paid around 135.00 -they now are 143.00. I'd take 75.00 but you would have to cover shipping which may be considerable-'
    Also the mounting hardware are nowhere to be found.I think it was 4 bolts and nuts and four flat metal pieces to fit in the frame-I don't remember for sure, although I did install it.You can probably go to any U-haul (they sell and install these) and get hardware.Why don't you look into that if you're still interested and post or PM me your zip and I'll see what shipping might be.
    There are 6 bolts, carriage bolts, two close near the rear and one a little farther in. Each comes with a rectangle metal bracket that is designed to act as a washer and has a square opening for a carriage bolt. They go in the frame rail. There are rectangle washers for the outside or nut side. There are extra rectangle washers for keeping the spacing correct on the rear bolts. There is a slight angle that is made because of the design and frame shape.

And a set of hex nuts. I want to say it was like 18 mm, possibly 20 (that I can't recall). It would guess 18 because I used a 3/8 drive to torque.

Thread Information