Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Sending unit seal

I think I found my oil leak with your help here, Is there any wey to change the sending unit seal or gasket with out removing the intake? I can't even see the farten thing!! oil on drivers side of motor from that general area and very little is leaking for now!! Thanks

You sure that's what is leaking? If so you can buy a special socket and replace it - can be done but it's a pita to change without removing the intake. Probably can't buy just a seal or gasket - reach back there and make sure it's vertical and not broken. Easily broken doing an intake swap but usually break above the base and don't leak oil.

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    You sure that's what is leaking? If so you can buy a special socket and replace it - can be done but it's a pita to change without removing the intake. Probably can't buy just a seal or gasket - reach back there and make sure it's vertical and not broken. Easily broken doing an intake swap but usually break above the base and don't leak oil.
    From what I read on here if you have oil on driver side of block from top down good chance its the sending unit?

blue
    1999 TransAm

i think you have to remove the intake manifold to get access to it.. i had it done at the shop though, so i don't know how difficult it is to DIY. but, yes, the OPSU is a big PITA, and seems like a common leaker. i just saw a thread the other day about some folks are even going so far as to relocate the OPSU to a location that is easily accessible (probably not a bad idea).

Silver

I hope to do the ls6 valley plate but not until winter unless leaking gets worse, just a few drops as of now..just looking for some info on this matter

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I had mine replaced @ a competant auto shop, and they had to remove the intake.

SteveC

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I would take the extra time to pull the intake as it is not that difficult. Great thing about the LS engines is that there are no coolant crossovers in the intake to deal with.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Like Jeff said, It will only take a couple of hrs for a 1st timer. The socket cost about $10.

Doing it yourself will save you $100 in labor alone. There are some tricky things to remember while doing the install but if you read the directions and take your time you will be fine. Go through both of these threads below.

Detail Intake Removal/Installation Instructions:
    http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5

Another thread that clears up some of the above instructions and other issues:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145557

If you can wait, do this with similar jobs, like LS6 intake swap, LS6 VCT mod, replace your 12 yr old KS sensor and WH, but if not go right ahead.

NBM
    1998Z28

All you need is the right sensor socket, a cold engine and a decent lite and you can change it out without removing the intake. Bought my socket at NAPA and it took about 15 minutes to change.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

Silver

Great Info, This is a great place for information for a newbe such as myself to help us learn these cars and do work for yourself. That is the main part of the car hobbie is the DIY part!!Thanks

Thread Information