Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

sell the SS for a CTS-V

I've been heavily debating selling my 2000 SS for a CTS-V.

I love my SS, dont get me wrong, but A, I feel like I'm growing out of it, I often feel childish when I'm talking about my car, and B, my wife and I are intending on having kids soon, the back seat and trunk would be nice.

I'm also trying to be taken more seriously both socially and professionally, and I feel that driving a Cadillac would help put me there.

I don't have any serious issues with the SS, I'm just tired of the squeeks and rattles, the cracked dash, the lack of A/C, and the shitty ground clearance, I scrape my bumper EVERY time I pull in and out of my driveway, and the parking lot at work.

I've found some 2004 and 2005 CTS-V's between 15 and 20K, which I could do if I can get 7-9 for my car. I also have the set of LS6 heads I'm building up and porting that I could put into it instead of my SS.

Just wanting some input

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Keep SS and still get CTS = Win.

Any reason not to?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Money, and space, lol....I have a short, single stack driveway, 2 cars suck enough, cant imagine 3.

I'd also have to sell the SS to have enough money to buy the CTS. I still owe 3k on the SS and currently have $0 in savings. after this coming spring my finances will be in a much better position.

And dear God I don't want to know what our insurance would go to.
    Last edited by Spikito; 12-17-2012 at 11:44 AM.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

My opinion, Dustin, is save your money, fix the car and then once you have enough, mod the engine. If you really don't need the two extra doors, then keep the SS. You pretty much have the same engine anyway, plus yours is lighter. My .02.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

^^ Agree- keep your SS and wait a while you dont have the kids yet and unless your job needs you to drive clients around ie: real estate etc etc . I wouldnt stress the social or professional thing ? and @ 25 your not really daddies caddie age yet lol....also insurance on the CTS will probably be more so?

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

It's not a cts-v but I was in a similar situation. I saved up and got a 06 charger daytona and kept my TA. So my opinion is to save and keep the ss and buy a V if you can.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Last time I checked you can get a car seat into a 00' Camaro. Keep the SS, why go further into debt ?
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I agree with all of the above posters, keep the SS and save your money.

It is not the material things in life that give you status, it is what is GOD given, what is in your heart and mind.

SteveC

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

I'm also tossing this idea around, if you can find a good deal then I'de go for it. CTS-V, G8 GT or GXP, or an unmolested 04'-06' GTO are the top three I would swap the TA out for. A C5 or C6 would be great but I can not fit the family in a vette I'm content to just look and admire.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Those are exactly my top 3....I just love how the CTS is still just a caddy on the outside. Few would expect it to have 400+ hp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    LS6 intake, Pacesetters, TSP rumbler !EGR, !AIR, 295/35 BFG KDW II's, UMI Adj LCAs. Tick Master Cylinder, LS7 Clutch and flywheel, Pro 5.0, Lous short stick, Frost Tune.

I would definitely keep the SS.

I used to have a '79 Trans Am that I got rid of because it needed more time and money than I had, to put it right. I regretted it the second I watched it being driven away and I think you would too.

Give it a few more years and our cars will become collectable, even more so if you keep it in good condition.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    I agree with all of the above posters, keep the SS and save your money.

It is not the material things in life that give you status, it is what is GOD given, what is in your heart and mind.

SteveC
    well said Steve, I got my TA at 42 and iam having the time of my life with it! You still owe on the ss and nothing in savings and from experience babies aren't cheap. Pay off and save up then think about it, in 20yrs you'll want it back! A car won't make you better I have been around plenty of Aholes that drove expensive cars!!

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    I'm also tossing this idea around, if you can find a good deal then I'de go for it. CTS-V, G8 GT or GXP, or an unmolested 04'-06' GTO are the top three I would swap the TA out for. A C5 or C6 would be great but I can not fit the family in a vette I'm content to just look and admire.
    You think a car seat will fit any better in a GTO ?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

prob not...thats why im wanting to venture into the 4 door world

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Keep the SS or get a G8...we talked about this on Facebook.

The rear end problems and the unsolvable wheel-hop is enough to make me not want a CTS-V1.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

yeah I made the thread before we talked.

Looked at some G8 GTs, I would def drive one, theyd just have to come down in price about another 5k.

23K for 360hp
    17k for 400hp.

I'm also a bit concerned buying a "new" car from a company that doesn't exist anymore

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    I didn't compare dates, I just came across this thread, sorry.

Looked at some G8 GTs, I would def drive one, theyd just have to come down in price about another 5k.

23K for 360hp
    17k for 400hp.
    That 400hp means nothing if you can't put it to the ground. Or you could get the CTS-V and upgrade the rear to a 8.8 or 9"...kits exist for it. Wheel hop though...

I'm also a bit concerned buying a "new" car from a company that doesn't exist anymore
    It's GM, they have parts for the car, especially since the new Chevy vehicle (forgot the name) is the exact same car. The only difference is the body panels.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

The G8 is supposed to continue on as the new Caprice and will be initially for the LEOs to use. G8 is definitely a cool family car.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

23K for 360hp
    17k for 400hp.

Also the G8 is tuned for regular gas, if you had it tuned for premium you could pick up some hp.

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    It's GM, they have parts for the car, especially since the new Chevy vehicle (forgot the name) is the exact same car. The only difference is the body panels.
    I don't know if that is entirely correct. A friend of mine has a G8 they bought new, and alot of stuff they've needed for the car was a 2 week wait to order from overseas. Only thing really GM in it is the engine and trans, which generally isn't problematic. It's all the other Holden based stuff on the car that he has problems with. It's been his gripe on the car since day 1.

That alone would stop me from buying a G8, even though I do like the cars appearance and it would make a great family driver.

Spikito, I've always liked the CTS-V's, and if I knew I could replace my wifes camaro straight up I'd do it, and I'm sure my wife wouldn't complain. However I'm not interested in forking out more money to do it
    CTS-V or the Trailblazer SS are really the only new GM cars I'd consider owning, otherwise it's going to be a Dodge Challenger or a new Coyote 5.0 mustang. Since you are looking for something with extra doors the last 2 are out for you
    Frankly if you want extra doors and room for family the Trailblazer SS is a winner over all those choices in my opinion. Went on a cruise over the weekend and a club member drove his, I was ready to trade him on the spot

Thread Information