white
    1998 Trans Am

Secondary vehicle question

Ok this isn't LS1 related but I'm going to ask for help here. I know a majority of members here have secondary vehicles. I purchased a 1995 tahoe last week 2 door, 4wd, 3 inch body lift with 35s. It has the TBI engine with 225,000 miles. Rides good but the motor is weak. From what I've read, it's only rated 180 or so HP. Which for a 350 is rather weak. The heads are horrible, intake sucks and the complete exhaust system blows. I've been told that a heads and intake swap from a vortec motor along with a mild cam will really wake this motor up. Anyone have any experience doing this or know anyone that has and what was the results? Not wanting to make a beast here, not wanting to sink a ton of money swapping motors and wiring harnesses. Just want to wake up this beast a little. Any input is really appreciated.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I don't have any experience with the heads/cam/intake you talk about, that should be some nice mods. Then add some headers/true duals, she should be good to go.

Another thing to consider is, how much taller than stock are those 35s? Bigger, taller,heavier tires, with no differential gearing change, really slows down any vehicle. Now if the stock tires were like 33s, then 35s would slow it down, but not much. If the stockers were like 30 inches, then the 35s make a big difference.

white
    1998 Trans Am

Yeah that's kinda the plan. But the tires, I believe the stock tire size on the 95 were 16s. I drive it from my house to work which is only about 7 miles round trip and around town a little. I split time with the tahoe and my TA. I working up to get the TA in the shop for some upgrades but I'd rather not drive it every day. Especially with the weather down here lately. Lots of rain and flooding streets. Not something I want my car in.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

With that many miles I would drop a crate motor in it and be done. No sense throwing money at a worn out engine. Anymore, it is cheaper to buy one than rebuild the one you have. Just my .02 on the matter.

white
    1998 Trans Am

Guess I should have have a little more info there. My mechanic that's doing the work if I plan on going this way, he would pull the motor and go over everything on the bottom end to make sure everything is good and can handle the new parts. The heads would be worked and if the crank needs to be worked, he will do that as well. Going to talk to him today and see if replacing pistons and rings would be needed. Seeing as it has 225,000 miles, I would say yes. Plus seeing as we are good friends, I get a deal on my work cause he works on all of my vehicles. Like I said earlier, not trying to change motors and wiring harnesses and all that stuff. From what he was saying, I should be able to do the necessary work to build it up as a nice motor for about $1000. Just trying to get some input on what's the best option. I posted on here because you guys are helpful and I always get great advice. Tries posting in a tahoe forum and got no responses at all. So I know where the real car guys hang out. Right here!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Before you pull it, perform a compression test and leak down test on each cylinder. That'll give you a good idea of what you are getting into.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

95 engine - isn't that based on a LT1 platform?

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

With 225k miles on a weak ass motor like those I would search out a different small block from a junk yard with less miles go over it a bit and just drop it in. Those motors were plain junk. My dad had a 94 pick up with 57k, we have a 18ft travel trailer and my 6cyl. Trailblazer would out tow it. There was no comparison on the PA hills. He now has 11 GMC 5.3 now I have no chance.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I second a 5.3 or even LQ4/9 would be money better spent.

Thread Information