Thread: Seat Question

White
    2000 Firebird

Question Seat Question

The seats in my 2000 Firebird are completely worn out and in need of replacing. With that said, has anyone heard of taking the seats from a Grand Prix and installing them in a Bird/TA? It is an option I am looking at. If not, does anyone have some good suggestions?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Grand Prix seats won't fit.

I am actually very impressed with my 6LiterEater seats. $500 for a set, plus $140 for the powdercoated mounting brackets.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

If it's just the upholstery that's worn out, perhaps you should see what it would cost to get the seats re-done.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

White
    2000 Firebird

@ls1camino - $500 for a set? really? I'm not sure why they would not work, it's a matter of changing out the seat rails, I just thought someone else might have tried it. I'll send pics when it's done.

@FinZ28 - It's very expensive to get the seats redone. Not an option.

Aren't factory seat covers available somewhere? If so it shouldn't be expensive at all. Grab yourself some hog rings and hog ring plyers and get to work It's a relatively easy job.

White
    2000 Firebird

It's not the seat covers, the foam is worn out. The seat covers are perfect, they just need a cleaning and I know that is very easy but the crap foam GM put in the seats, is beyond repair.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone32 View Post
    It's not the seat covers, the foam is worn out. The seat covers are perfect, they just need a cleaning and I know that is very easy but the crap foam GM put in the seats, is beyond repair.
    No foam available for these things? Usually the foam kits are what kills you on price. I can do seat covers all day long on classic cars for as cheap as $150 a seat depending on the type and style (sometimes more), but a good quality foam kit can hit you for $500 or more.

Since your seat covers are fine, if you have done seats before and you have patients, you can remove the seat cover and carefully stuff the worn areas, there are various materials on the market to do this, and it will provide decent results. Sometimes takes a little trial and error. That's what most of your upholstery shops will do if factory seat foam isn't available.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Have you looked around for seats outta parts car or from a salvage yard? ebay, craigslist, ls1tech are also some other places Id look to see what you can find. As far as the grand prix seat goes it prolly is possible, just keep in mind that there is going to have to be some fab work into the seat bracket in order for it to fit and operate properly.
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 A-4:
    Volant CAI, BBK LTs, BBK ORY, SLP LM2, FROST Tune, A/C Heat Delete, AIR Delete

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by tbone32 View Post
    @ls1camino - $500 for a set? really? I'm not sure why they would not work, it's a matter of changing out the seat rails, I just thought someone else might have tried it. I'll send pics when it's done.

@FinZ28 - It's very expensive to get the seats redone. Not an option.
    Have fun...I hope you're at least using seats from a '04-'08 Grand Prix, because I know first hand that the '97-'03 seats are not comfortable at all.

Thread Information