Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seap Hole????

Seap Hole????

Im trying yo find a small coolant leak on my 2000 Z (71k).

After getting home today I left the car turned-on while it was parked on the driveway. I then looked under the car to find a small puddle forming on the ground under the front of the engine.

im pretty sure it is the water pump...

What Im trying to find out is where exactly is the "seap hole" on the stock water pump? If im looking straight at the motor the puddle is on the ground right under the pump but a bit to the left, or, towards the passenger side.

The reason I ask is because from above I cant see where the engine is leaking from, all I can see is the puddle underneath.

Thanks

replace the water pump gaskets.they are known for leaking.the pump is fine.

White
    98 Trans AM

I had the same thing and I just replaced the pump. Granted mine had 85K on it but after replacing it was all good no leak. It was actually coming from the pump though and not a gasket leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Transam388
    I had the same thing and I just replaced the pump. Granted mine had 85K on it but after replacing it was all good no leak. It was actually coming from the pump though and not a gasket leak.
    Do you remember where exactly the leak was coming from??

Where you able to see the leak from above?

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by YoMommasTA
    Now why would someone pull the pump and not replace it..unless you're really strapped for money at the time.

The gasket is supposed to be reuseable but i'd never reuse a gasket. Just put a new pump and gasket from the dealer on...it's a really easy swap. Hardest part is catching all the coolant...make sure you bleed it really good also. Have fun

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I use a mirror and a good light and look at something like that.There would be hole in the water pump with coolant coming out of it-you might as well replace the pump even if it was just the gasket just as preventive maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    Now why would someone pull the pump and not replace it..unless you're really strapped for money at the time.

The gasket is supposed to be reuseable but i'd never reuse a gasket. Just put a new pump and gasket from the dealer on...it's a really easy swap. Hardest part is catching all the coolant...make sure you bleed it really good also. Have fun
    if you want to waste your money,go ahead replace it...hell those gaskets leaked from day one..........maybe if you did a little reading you would know there was a problem with the gaskets and gm updated them to guess what?

another thing i should add,i've seen at least 50 ls1 engines with this same leak...might wanna listen to me.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Don't take this stuff so personal!! It's a discussion-not a Yommamma concert. Use a mirror and look at the leak with a good light-if it's the pump or if it's the gasket you will be able to see.It would be really stupid to replace the gasket and then still have a leak because it's the pump. Always diagnose the problem first instead of throwing parts at it.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

if you want to waste your money,go ahead replace it...hell those gaskets leaked from day one..........maybe if you did a little reading you would know there was a problem with the gaskets and gm updated them to guess what?
    Do what ya want bro...but you'll probably end up doing the same job twice. If we're talking brand new motors or very low mileage then no...I wouldn't replace the pump. But if the motor has any decent mileage i'd replace it as preventive maintenance and piece of mind.

How can you sit there and say the pump is fine without even looking at the vehicle...mr.i've seen 50 ls1's...that's just bad advice. Water pumps go bad...it's a fact of life...and they tend to go at the worst time possible. Personally i'd rather replace a water pump when i'm already working on it and have time to...then have it go out on my way to work or something.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I'd be willing to say at 71,000 it's more than gaskets, bad gaskets don't behave for that long then start leaking all of the sudden -generally. Just look at it, it will just take a few minutes to diagnose where it is leaking from like everyone says

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn

I agree

i've NEVER seen a bad ls1 water pump,bad gaskets but never a bad pump...if you have i guess you've got alot more experiance than i do.Did i mention i've worked on hundreds of these cars?

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

i've NEVER seen a bad ls1 water pump,bad gaskets but never a bad pump...if you have i guess you've got alot more experiance than i do.Did i mention i've worked on hundreds of these cars?
    Dang that's impressive, GM sure struck gold when the hand of God really did touch the LS1 -or at least it's water pump

i'm going to type tis one more time...these gaskets ARE KNOWN FOR LEAKING.GET IT?Is there a problem in your t brains that you can't read or understand that its COMMON for the GASKETS TO LEAK COMMON for the GASKETS TO LEAK COMMON for the GASKETS TO LEAK COMMON for the GASKETS TO LEAK COMMON for the GASKETS TO LEAK COMMON for the GASKETS TO LEAK COMMON for the GASKETS TO LEAK COMMON for the GASKETS TO LEAK COMMON for the GASKETS TO LEAK COMMON for the GASKETS TO LEAK COMMON for the GASKETS TO LEAK COMMON for the GASKETS TO LEAK COMMON for the GASKETS TO LEAK COMMON for the GASKETS TO LEAK COMMON for the GASKETS TO LEAK COMMON for the GASKETS TO LEAK COMMON for the GASKETS TO LEAK COMMON for the GASKETS TO LEAK COMMON for the GASKETS TO LEAK COMMON for the GASKETS TO LEAK COMMON for the GASKETS TO LEAK

Red
    2000 SS

It's called a "weep" hole. Water seeps from it, unless the bearing is completely shot, in which case it gushes. The pump is designed to go 100k miles, but that's based on the assumption of proper cooling system maintenance.

If I go through the trouble of removing the water pump to get at something else (gaskets, timing gear set, etc), new parts go on (unless I'm selling it).

It's called peace of mind.

As far as the back and forth bickering, the amusement is worth the price we're paying for it.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

OK-maybe it's the most amazing water pump since the dawn of man-that's great.But why not replace it while you got it out? Why not-Why not-Why not-Why not-Why not-Why not-Why not-Why not-haha

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I went ahead and changed out the water pump completely. yeah the gaskets can go bad, but I dont really believe in just putting a band-aid on a problem, Id rather just fix it and forget about it. With 70k+ miles on the odometer, it wont be long before the pump goes anyway.

Since the swap my car has stopped overheating.

send me your old water pump,i'll pay shipping no problem.TY

i changed my gaskets 50k miles ago.i changed them i changed them i changed them i changed them i changed them i changed them i changed them i changed them i changed them i changed them i changed them i changed them i changed them i changed them i changed them i changed themi changed them i changed them i changed them i changed them i changed them i changed them i changed them i changed them i changed them i changed them

Thread Information