Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Seafoam/Spark Plug deposits

I have a question. Can the use of Seafoam leave a heavy amount of white deposits on the spark plugs?

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    I have a question. Can the use of Seafoam leave a heavy amount of white deposits on the spark plugs?
    I have no personal experience with this but I have heard it can. Are you experiencing this?
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Yes I am. I Seafoamed my wifes '02 Celcia GT but had it in for service today to check it for excessive oil consumption (they had a piston oil ring tolerance that was too loose, so I am using 6 qts of oil per 3,000 miles). They pulled a plug to check the plugs condition (to see if it was oil fouled) and they told me that I have a head gasket leak because of all of the white deposits on the plug (they said I lost about 12 oz. of coolant in the overflow).

So I am trying to figure out if the deposits are because of the Seafoam, or if it is really a head gasket leak.

Black/ Silver

I would replace the plugs and then see how it runs. With a head gasket leak the exhaust usually blows out white smoke I believe. I would also check the coolant level and fill it up. Then drive it around for a while and check the fluid level to see if any coolant has been lost.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

That's what I was thinking about doing. The car actually runs great, it is pretty solid throughout its rev and load ranges. if I didn't have the oil consumption so high (2 qts every 1k) I wouldn't have even checked. Only time I've really seen white smoke is when I start it up in the morning and its fairly chilly out, but that should be from normal condensation. In the scope of things, is 12.oz lost in a pressurized system that big of a deal? That the volume of a Coke can.

They topped it off, I figured I could take the plugs out, clean the surface (they are either platinum or iridium and they aren't fouled, the area around the puck and the electrode are fine).

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    That's what I was thinking about doing. The car actually runs great, it is pretty solid throughout its rev and load ranges. if I didn't have the oil consumption so high (2 qts every 1k) I wouldn't have even checked. Only time I've really seen white smoke is when I start it up in the morning and its fairly chilly out, but that should be from normal condensation. In the scope of things, is 12.oz lost in a pressurized system that big of a deal? That the volume of a Coke can.

They topped it off, I figured I could take the plugs out, clean the surface (they are either platinum or iridium and they aren't fouled, the area around the puck and the electrode are fine).
    Try that recheck the coolant and plugs again and if everything is fine I would say you are good to go. There are a variety of reasons there could be 12 oz missing. In addition I would check for coolant leaks.

Thread Information