Thread: Seafoam?

Black
    2001 WS6

Seafoam?

I've got 93,000 miles on my car. I'm trying to find the safest but most effective fuel system cleaner out there. I've been trying to find alot of information on seafoam. I'm thinking about doing at least my gas tank, and adding it to the oil right before my next oil change. I havent been getting the greatest mileage..about 250 miles around town to the 3/4 tank. My torque seems a little down on the highway as well. I know there are two sides here saying both seafoam is good and seafoam is bad. So What should I use? I read sarge's 2 stroke oil post as well. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Ramairgod84; 04-13-2010 at 08:00 AM.

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

I used the write up on seafoam on here. The three steps one. I've never read anything bad about seafoam except it mght fault your plugs after so many uses. And I enjoy pissing my neighbors off with all the smoke haha

Black
    2001 WS6

i was thinking about using the 1 can in the gas tank to start off, then right before my next oil change, using it in the oil. Im iffy about me myself putting it through the vac line. How did it do putting a can of that stuff in your gas?

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    i was thinking about using the 1 can in the gas tank to start off, then right before my next oil change, using it in the oil. Im iffy about me myself putting it through the vac line. How did it do putting a can of that stuff in your gas?
    Never ran it on my camaro but I have run it on my daily beaters. Every time I do it the car runs better with better mileage.

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

Puttin in the gas was good I feel like the deep creep through the intake and through the vac line worked very well too. I've been using it on all my cars and friends cars with no problems and depending on how dirty it is much better mileage

Black
    2001 WS6

I heard somewhere about changing the fuel filter after running it through the gas, is that true?

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

I'm not sure. I happened to change it right after by coincidence though

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

I just did this last month on my TA. I was losing mileage and I cleaned my MAF and used seafoam. It helped, I got 2 mpg more afterwards. I ran seafoam through the gas, oil, and intake...

I changed the oil/filter after about 100 miles. I've read varying opinions on how long you should let it sit in your oil.

Yes, I did change the fuel filter after emptying the gas tank. Pretty much every opinion I read agreed on this point.

Getting it into the intake via a vaccuum line is daunting to a beginner, like me. But it was pretty easy and straightforward. I followed someone's instructions on a different forum, haven't seen any writeups here. But if you find a good instruction set, it's easy enough for even a noob to do. I got that nice thick cloud of smoke from the exhaust, so I guess it did it's job...

I have seen many folks say that the mopar cleaner is better than seafoam for the intake. I personally don't know if it's true, but you might want to look into that as well.

_
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Black
    2001 WS6

Ive been reading up on SARGE's posts about how seafoam is a solvent, bad for the motor. About using the pennzoil tcw3. has anyone tried this? Also reading about how someone with 107000 miles did this and somehow blew a gasket? I'm not looking to do seafoam alot, just once to the motor to get the gunk out of 93,000 of torture. I have the stuff sitting in my backseat and im almost afraid to put it into my gas tank.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

the issue most people find with it ..is the fact that it is very very good and quick at removing carbon build up.....the issue comes to ..where/how does the carbon get out of your engine...through the exhaust...decent sized chunks of carbon breaking loose and having to go through the engine and out the exhaust ( you can see where problems could happen..i.e the cats) however i have used seafoam on my t/a once before and it was all good. i have used it on gxpss's gp gxp with no problems ...and i will use it again on my car ..as i have no cats and i doubt here are any "big" chunks of carbon build up.

if you are just looking for a fuel system cleaner..just get a fuel system cleaner

if you are looking for a good de-carboner..then seafoam it.

Black
    2001 WS6

i wish i knew someone local that's done it before

98' trans am

i wish i knew someone local that's done it before
    you cant mess it up really.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I've used Seafoam on my T/A. But mine was because I had gotten some water contaminated gas. I did not change fuel filter because it was also brand new, less then a week. I poured it straight in the tank, let it sit for 15 mins. It helped. After another fill up I used another can. Still no issues.

I also had checked with Sarge prior to doing this and he was my source for approval seeing how he seems to be the resident Oils Expert on site.

I haven't used it with the oil yet, but I did use MMO to clean up the engines inside prior to switching over to Mobile 1. Again base on Sarge's recommendations. I used 1 can of MMO at an oil change, used a synthetic blend (this was a sacrificial change to clean the engine of any gunk) drove 1000 miles, drained, filled up with Mobile 1.

Also, you stated you only get about 250 -280 miles to a tank, I've got a 14 gal tank and that's the same as I get. I drive mine mostly hwy with some city. I still have the stock cam so I'm not too mod that it would effect my gas mileage radically.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

98' trans am

do you have write up on it ?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I havent been getting the greatest mileage..about 250 miles around town to the 3/4 tank.
    250 miles to a tank of gas in town is pretty good gas mileage

sand
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I was skeptical about the seafoam as well so I ran it through my 93 lincoln mark VIII this weekend and it made a huge difference so far. I would rather blow my 4.6 ford motor daily beater before I f'd up and LS1. I put 2'3's in the tank and another 1/3 in the intake via the vacuum line from the brake booster. Drove the shit out of it for about ten miles and the throttle response was way better than before. Gonna give it a little more time before I try it on the WS6 though. Man the smoke was crazy thick after letting it sit for 5 minutes. No complaints so far though. Hope this helps and let me know how it turns out for you if you use it.

Thread Information