Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Running Rough any Ideas????

So two days ago i put lucas fuel injection cleaner (i knew not to do it) but not it runs so weird backfireing alot and if i rip on it power is just about there but it smokes alot. Its never had a puff of smoke before. Also when i coast or just have the pedal touched to just idle it not sure if you know what i'm talking about but anything but half throttle it feels like a misfire. No clue where this came from its out of the blue and just so happes to be right after i pu thtat in. Maybe dry gas? Fuel filter was just installed a month ago. Thanks

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

How about a vacuum leak? Burned plug wire? Any DTC's? Could just be a coincidence.

Dosnt sound like a coincidence. Do you have any codes? A bad o2 will make your car run like shit. Also the o2s could be detecting a fuel contamination and making it run funny from the injector cleaner. Iv had some o2s go bad or get codes from cleaners in the fuel. It could also go away when the stuff is gone from the tank.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by senicalj4579 View Post
    Dosnt sound like a coincidence. Do you have any codes? A bad o2 will make your car run like shit. Also the o2s could be detecting a fuel contamination and making it run funny from the injector cleaner. Iv had some o2s go bad or get codes from cleaners in the fuel. It could also go away when the stuff is gone from the tank.
    whats weird is no codes....i ran it close to empty and filled it but maybe it will be a couple tanks before its gone. either way Screw that fuel injection cleaner!!! I didnt want to do it but figured it wouldnt hurt never bothered my other cars.i could change the o2's i have a couple extra from the cats i took off. i just have no codes so i'm confused i'll pull the plugs and see what it looks like. DAMN Fuel Cleaner! Screw LUCAS!

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    How about a vacuum leak? Burned plug wire? Any DTC's? Could just be a coincidence.
    Plug wires look perfect i'll check for a leak but i would of figured a code would pop up but nothing

I really think that stuff is meant to be run with a car that has cats. I did mopar cumbustion cleaner one time and I ended up with a bad o2. Although I seafoamed manytimes before and didnt have that problem. Just a week ago I dumped a little bottle of upper cylinder lube (lucas injector cleaner) with a full tank of gas before I went to the track. 150 miles later I check with obd and I end up with a slow response code which could be cause by a fuel contamination. I reset the codes and drove probly 300+miles since and havent had a problem yet. O2 sensors can do some funny things to your car. It may even take a few start ups and cool downs for any codes to show up.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Chevron Techron is the only fuel system cleaner that I will use.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

So I did a check with the tech 2 today bank one 02 sensor is bad and says engine misfire I'm guessing those are linked together damn fi. Cleaner never again ill try changing the o2 and checing the plugs I'm sure ones fouled out

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Use that tech 2 and view the misfire graphic. It will show you which cylinder is misfiring and you can go from there. I highly doubt a bad o2 is causing your misfire. That fi cleaner could have broke a chunk of carbon or trash off your injector and now the injector is not closing all the way which mite be causing it to leak thus causing the misfire

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    Use that tech 2 and view the misfire graphic. It will show you which cylinder is misfiring and you can go from there. I highly doubt a bad o2 is causing your misfire. That fi cleaner could have broke a chunk of carbon or trash off your injector and now the injector is not closing all the way which mite be causing it to leak thus causing the misfire
    oh ok it was my bosses tech 2 i'll check it closer tomorrow i reset the ses light so i'll wait till it comes on. but it will get me that close? I'm going to take out a plug or 2 right now and see what they look like just pisses me off that it drove great before and i decided to throw that lucas in there and now it runs like ass!

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    So i took off the plugs and all the drivers side plugs were HORRIBLE all covered in black. the passenger sides were perfect. Any ideas???

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Put new plugs in for the hell of it did nothing and the light came back on. wow its running rich!!!! New o2 next?? its got a new fuel pump. i just dont get whats going on i know its from the fi cleaner its been running perfect until that!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like a frogged O2 sender from what you have posted. Get a scanner on it and check your fuel trims and other live sensor data to see what is awry. Do you have cats on the car?

When I did the mccc I ended up with a #7 missfire and bad o2 sensor. Im willing to bet the same thing happened to you and because it messed with your bank 1 o2 (driver side) sensor it was reading like shit so the fuel was all mesed up on that side. Replace the o2s or just the one,clean off the plugs,regap them,delete the codes,and I bet your all set.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Sounds like a frogged O2 sender from what you have posted. Get a scanner on it and check your fuel trims and other live sensor data to see what is awry. Do you have cats on the car?
    no cats, and i have extra 02's and i couldnt get the thing off!!! it was a bitch to get on that header but i was really going at it and didnt move i need to figure something out cause it feels like its goin gto break and its not like its rusted in i did the headers 3 months ago. i'll put fire to it tomorrow see if i can get it off. i have 2 extras so 1 has to solve it

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

When I did the mccc I ended up with a #7 missfire and bad o2 sensor. Im willing to bet the same thing happened to you and because it messed with your bank 1 o2 (driver side) sensor it was reading like shit so the fuel was all mesed up on that side. Replace the o2s or just the one,clean off the plugs,regap them,delete the codes,and I bet your all set.
    i'll try to get it off tomorrow but i'm calling lucas to see whats up this shouldnt happen!!! i'm so ripped about it gaurentee my ass

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro69Mac View Post
    i'll try to get it off tomorrow but i'm calling lucas to see whats up this shouldnt happen!!! i'm so ripped about it gaurentee my ass
    Yea but dude,you have to remember anykind of cleaner probly isnt suposed to be used without cats. Your cats would absorb any of that crap that would hurt o2s. Lucas cant do anything about it.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Yea but dude,you have to remember anykind of cleaner probly isnt suposed to be used without cats. Your cats would absorb any of that crap that would hurt o2s. Lucas cant do anything about it.
    I didn't know that at all

Black
    00 WS6

Not having cats wouldn't have anything to do with the cleaner, the cleaner breaks loose carbon and other materials from inside the fuel system not check for cats. Cats only absorb fuel and air, even then it only does that enough to do the chemical reaction, the rest just passes through. Cleaners also pick up the water in your tank and carry it along to be burn in the motor, if you had any water in the fuel tank this also could be an issue.
    Mb you had some crap in your fuel system and the cleaner did its job and broke loose some junk, now it's stuck in the injector. If you don't have a scan tool try checking the temp of each exhaust runner with a temp laser. did you pull the plugs? Do any look Lean?
    Has the car ever sat for a long period of time, Like for a year with out being ran? I have seen military members who leave for a year with car in storage, the fuel evaporates and leaves a yellow film on everything.
    Also did you get gas at a different gas station? Never get gas at a station that has their truck there filling the tanks, that stirs up the water and dirt in the tanks then you pump that shit right into your car. Try changing your fuel filter and refilling your tank with some fresh gas.
    With out a scanner/fuel pressure #s ect this is all i can think of to check right now.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Turbong View Post
    Not having cats wouldn't have anything to do with the cleaner, the cleaner breaks loose carbon and other materials from inside the fuel system not check for cats. Cats only absorb fuel and air, even then it only does that enough to do the chemical reaction, the rest just passes through. Cleaners also pick up the water in your tank and carry it along to be burn in the motor, if you had any water in the fuel tank this also could be an issue.
    Mb you had some crap in your fuel system and the cleaner did its job and broke loose some junk, now it's stuck in the injector. If you don't have a scan tool try checking the temp of each exhaust runner with a temp laser. did you pull the plugs? Do any look Lean?
    Has the car ever sat for a long period of time, Like for a year with out being ran? I have seen military members who leave for a year with car in storage, the fuel evaporates and leaves a yellow film on everything.
    Also did you get gas at a different gas station? Never get gas at a station that has their truck there filling the tanks, that stirs up the water and dirt in the tanks then you pump that shit right into your car. Try changing your fuel filter and refilling your tank with some fresh gas.
    With out a scanner/fuel pressure #s ect this is all i can think of to check right now.
    Thanks alot and yes all plugs including the o2 On the drivers side were coverer in what looks like carbon the passenger looked great

Thread Information