Thread: running issue

red
    1992 k1500

running issue

Just got a 92 k1500 with the 5.7 and straight drive. I just replaced the intake gaskets and the valve cover gaskets and now I am having a running issue. The truck cranks up and idles for a minute then I hear the throttle body starving for air then the truck shuts off. I have checked the IAC and it ohms out fine and seems to be working.
    But I did notice that I have a plug in the front of the engine that is not hooked to anything and I cannot find anything that it plugs into. It is a pink wire with a black tracer and a brown wire.
    I have looked at everything and cannot find where it plugs in. does anyone know what this plug is for?
    Also I have a check engine light on now. 15, coolant temp sensor. Could that be causing the issue?
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks so much!!!!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'm pretty sure those wire colors are for the MAF, or at least they are on my LS1.

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak maybe. Have you checked for that?
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 92k1500 View Post
    Just got a 92 k1500 with the 5.7 and straight drive. I just replaced the intake gaskets and the valve cover gaskets and now I am having a running issue. The truck cranks up and idles for a minute then I hear the throttle body starving for air then the truck shuts off. I have checked the IAC and it ohms out fine and seems to be working.
    But I did notice that I have a plug in the front of the engine that is not hooked to anything and I cannot find anything that it plugs into. It is a pink wire with a black tracer and a brown wire.
    I have looked at everything and cannot find where it plugs in. does anyone know what this plug is for?
    Also I have a check engine light on now. 15, coolant temp sensor. Could that be causing the issue?
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks so much!!!!!
    does it act like it's flooding out? Seen that sensor do that to my buddies vette. Cold start and idled great until it went to closed loop then it would flood the car out. I forget the temp his was showing on the datalog but it was really cold....like -20 or something like that. Changing that sensor would be a good place to start.

red
    1992 k1500

thats what i am going to to after work today. i am going to replace the temp sensor then chek for any leaks. thanks guys. i will let you know what happens.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Keep us posted.

red
    1992 k1500

Just got done installing the temp sensor. And everything seems to be working just fine.
    Now I just have to worry about the brake light that comes on about 5 minutes after I leave my house every day. I am sure it has something to do with the abs but I am not sure. If you guys have any info on that that would be nice. But as for now I will do some more reading and searching about that one.
    Thanks again for all the help guys!!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Well, could be a speed sensor bad. Are the tires the same size, front to back?

I'd check to make sure the speed sensors are clean, as well as the wiring in tact first. Also, that the reluctor wheel is in good shape.

I'm assuming it is set-up like our cars. If it isn't, then Orion or someone else will shout out.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Check the MAF and listen for vacuum leaks. Or you can smoke the engine.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

98 Formula
    06 duramax

most likely it's a wheel speed sensor like 35th said but if you really want to be sure stop by a shop and see what they'd charge to just scan the abs for you if you don't have a scanner. A mom and pop place here did my last one for free.....although I still gave the guy $20. That will most likely tell you immediately where the issue is. The other option is to pull the front tires and inspect/clean the reluctors and sensors. I would imagine that's front wheel abs only but not sure on that....probably doesn't have rear abs. At least getting the code pulled will point you to a tire or let you know if it's the module itself. Most of the time it's a speed sensor.

Actron has started making abs scanners available and they're pretty affordable. You may check autozone or something too and see if they have a scanner there that reads abs and see if they'll do it for free or do a loaner tool deal for you.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I'd check the break reservoir first. If it is low the light comes on. (at least on my 98 it does)

In my case - I had an issue 2 weeks ago whit this. My line lock was not completely tighten enough and every time I stepped on the brakes some drops came out. I tighten and refilled no issues since.

red
    1992 k1500

Thanks for the info guys. I will be checking that out next week and will keep you guys informed!!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I'd check the break reservoir first. If it is low the light comes on. (at least on my 98 it does)

In my case - I had an issue 2 weeks ago whit this. My line lock was not completely tighten enough and every time I stepped on the brakes some drops came out. I tighten and refilled no issues since.
    that's a good point....I was just assuming an abs issue but it doesn't necessarily have to be the abs. All that said....my money is still on a speed sensor.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I guess I'll add...when I had a speed sensor out it almost immediately triggered a ABS light, not a brake light. I thought the brake light was typically fluid level and the ABS light was sensors or the module?

Some cars even trigger a brake light when the 3rd brake light goes out.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I guess I'll add...when I had a speed sensor out it almost immediately triggered a ABS light, not a brake light. I thought the brake light was typically fluid level and the ABS light was sensors or the module?

Some cars even trigger a brake light when the 3rd brake light goes out.
    you might be right......I wasn't sure if they put an abs light on them in 92.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yea, I'm not sure either really.

Thread Information