Black
    02 WS6 TA

Rocker arm ticking?

Ive got a 2000 ws6 that has a ticking noise comein from the motor. Ive put that Lucas oil treatment in with the oil change and it didnt help. Its real bad on a dry start first thing in the morning but dies off once I drive it, its still there but not as bad. Someone told me that it could be a chattering rocker arm and it just needs to be tightened back down a little bit. Has anybody heard of this or done this before or can it even be done. I thought it was a lifter ticking but I figured the Lucas would at least take care of it a little bit.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

If it happens at cold start up and goes away once warm, it sounds like piston slap which is common on these cars. Do a search on LS1 for piston slap. The aluminum when cold has some play which goes away once the car warms up and the metal expands.

Blue
    02 Trans Am WS6

i have the same problem i think its a valve tap the volume starts off low on a cold start but the longer the car is running and the warmer it gets the noise gets louder its a constent tap. i also used lucas and changed the oil to castrol syntec and stayed exactly the same.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Could be just as simple as an oil change. Make sure that you are running what you motor says to run in the manual. I had a tic going on for a while and someone told me to run a heavier oil 20/50 to help with loading the lifters. didn't help, matter of fact made it worse. Another told me your going to do damage to your oil pump trying to push heavier oil through it and told me to run Royal Purple synth. in the weight for my engine 5/30 which is an LS1 1999 and the ticking almost immediately stop and has not returned..I have got on it several times which always caused it to tick and it has stopped. Just a thought that worked for me....My oil pressure at start up is now 70psi and 43psi running down the road.

I had a problem with the nuts on my rocker arms. They kept backing off. I replaced the nuts, actually I replaced the rocker arms with Crane gold race rollers and poly locks. No more ticking.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Fastdaddy View Post
    Could be just as simple as an oil change. Make sure that you are running what you motor says to run in the manual. I had a tic going on for a while and someone told me to run a heavier oil 20/50 to help with loading the lifters. didn't help, matter of fact made it worse. Another told me your going to do damage to your oil pump trying to push heavier oil through it and told me to run Royal Purple synth. in the weight for my engine 5/30 which is an LS1 1999 and the ticking almost immediately stop and has not returned..I have got on it several times which always caused it to tick and it has stopped. Just a thought that worked for me....My oil pressure at start up is now 70psi and 43psi running down the road.
    Won't find much love for royal crapple here @ the site. Heavier motor oils are more hard on bearing tollerances than anything. Quite a few folks have gone down to 0w30. Which is what 5w30 becomes when it's hot anyway. I've done this myself, went from 10w30 (factory recommended) to 5w30 and have seen significantly cooler temps and better overall mpgs. Also seemed to gain a smoother idle.. Just my .02
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Thread Information