Thread: Rms

Oriental Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Rms

so can anyone give me a little help on what it takes to to replace the rear main seal on a 2001 trans am? my dad and i plan on doing it this weekend and he asked me to gather as much info as possible on doing this job before we begin. does the tranny really have to be dropped or can we do it with it in? ive heard you need some sort of special tool to get the seal in, is this true? anyone know of a step by step guide on the internet somewhere

thanks for any help or info

mike

98 Formula
    06 duramax

The tranny has to come out. I've read both ways myself. I've read you need the tool but many people have done it without the tool. I guess it all depends on how confident you guys are you can get the seal on without damaging it or the crank. The tool is expensive, might want to borrow one from a shop, dealership, or see if a parts store will loan you one. Personally, I've always installed seals on with a hammer and a piece of 2x4 but it's risky. There's supposed to be a revised seal that centers much easier although I haven't seen a part number for it. Stop by a local dealership and talk to a Tech about it. They'll give you the what's up on doing it. Might want to look that clutch over too if your seal is leaking and see if the clutch has oil on it.

Oriental Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS.6 M6

ok so ill stop in after school today and talk to a tech, my dad said hes always done it without a tool so i guess well do it that way. is their any guide out there to help me? like a chiltons

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by '00T/A View Post
    ok so ill stop in after school today and talk to a tech, my dad said hes always done it without a tool so i guess well do it that way. is their any guide out there to help me? like a chiltons
    Repair manuals will help you but they aren't perfect. Expect to run into unexpected problems, have pictures that look nothng like what your car has, and they'll forget steps sometimes too. I could only find a Haynes manual and it is supposed to cover from like 96' to 02', but it kind of sucks. If you didn't go to mechanic school, or if you have a little bit of knowledge, then it will help out, but maybe asking a tech would help too.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

oh and one more thing.... I thought I blew my rear main seal like 2 months ago. Oil was spewing out of the engine and it looked like it was running out between the tranny and engine, hense I thought it was the RMS. It was actually the oil sending unit.

It is located behind the intake on the drivers side and you CAN NOT see it without taking the intake off. It's a really easy job, and it only took me about 90 minutes with the right tools and parts, gaskets, etc. You chould check into it.

Oriental Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    oh and one more thing.... I thought I blew my rear main seal like 2 months ago. Oil was spewing out of the engine and it looked like it was running out between the tranny and engine, hense I thought it was the RMS. It was actually the oil sending unit.

It is located behind the intake on the drivers side and you CAN NOT see it without taking the intake off. It's a really easy job, and it only took me about 90 minutes with the right tools and parts, gaskets, etc. You chould check into it.
    well i guess we'll check that out tomorow, hopefully thats the problem and not the rear main. thanks man

Oriental Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS.6 M6

how would i tell that something is going on the with oil sending unit?

Red
    2001 Trash Can

It's a lot but I hope it'll help. Let me know if you need any more info and Private Message me if you want my contact info.

Well, you could put oil in your car and start it, give it a few revs and look at the oil pressure gauge...if the guage is bouncing all over the place that may be an idication....but it'll probably do that if it's leaking out of the RMS also....

The only other things you could do would be to put a scan tool on the car and it might tell you, or if you have tiny little arms or a mirror and a light to look back on the drivers side rear of the engine there is a SLIGHT chance you'll be able to see/feel it. But like I said earlier, it is tucked way the hell behind the intake. If you want a step by step guide I can give it to you out of a haynes manual.

I'm guessing your car has EGR system on it??? In some 00's and all of the 01' and 02' models they didn't need it due to smaller cam and LS6 intake for better emission standards (correct me if I'm wrong), but my buddy's 00' has EGR.

It's actually a really easy job, you just need....intake manifold gasket set, throttle body gasket, maybe some fuel injector o-rings, (possibly EGR gasket), an oil sending unit, quick disconnect gas line tool, needle nose pliers (for the clips that hold on the injectors), and a little bit of patience getting all of the bolts out of the intake. Like said earlier, it only took me about 90 minutes start to finish.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

I was reading your profile and it says your name is 00' T/A, but your profile says that you have an 01 ws6 M6....you can disregard the whole EGR thing lol. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Oriental Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS.6 M6

yea i had the 2000 but i got rid of it and now ive got the 2001, i wish i could change my name but o well,

my oil pressure gauge does shut up while revving

Thread Information