Black
    2000 Forumla

right blinker not working... help

I have a 2000 formula. Suddenly the right blinker stopped working. The left blinker still works perfectly fine. Inside the car, the right green indicator arrows still lights up, but it dosent blink... it stays lit when I do a right turn signal. When I check outside the car, the back and front right blinker bulbs still turn on, but they just dont blink. So I dont think its the bulb? is it? Anything else I can check like some fuse? Are there independant fuses for the right and left blinker? Thanks

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by y2kformula
    I have a 2000 formula. Suddenly the right blinker stopped working. The left blinker still works perfectly fine. Inside the car, the right green indicator arrows still lights up, but it dosent blink... it stays lit when I do a right turn signal. When I check outside the car, the back and front right blinker bulbs still turn on, but they just dont blink. So I dont think its the bulb? is it? Anything else I can check like some fuse? Are there independant fuses for the right and left blinker? Thanks
    Change the bulb.
    Sylvania 3057LL I believe.

Use ONLY Sylvania or you will replace it weekly.

NBM
    98 Z

If the bulbs aren't burned out, it'd pretty much have to be the blinker mechanism, a little electric thingamabobber somewhere. Usually when the blinker behaves like this though, bulb is out....so are you sure both bulbs are working fine?

BlackHawk T/A
    Yeah normally if one bulb goes bad the blinker will stay on, alerting the driver that something isn't right. Check the side markers too...

02 firehawk
    ive had the same problem mine had just came out of the socket alittle bit alittle tightening and no more poblem but, if its not that just a bad bulb

Beast
    Well, on my car the bulbs on the right side flash just fine if you manually push the lever over... it just won't flash on their own.

Anyone know where the little electro part is that controlls that function?

Mark

Black
    2000 Forumla

Quote Originally Posted by Beast
    Well, on my car the bulbs on the right side flash just fine if you manually push the lever over... it just won't flash on their own.

Anyone know where the little electro part is that controlls that function?

Mark
    Thats how mine is.. if i move the right blinker up and back up and back manually, they will blink. I never checked the side markers thou.. if not.. i would like to know where the little electric part thingy is too. thansk

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I'd try replacing the flasher.I forget where they are at on this car but it's easy to find and replace-it's the thing making the clicking noise when you turn on the turn signals.If it's clicking when it's to the left just let it click and start looking.I believe it's under the knee guard thing under the steering column-they purposely put it somewhere you can hear it.Once you find it-it's really easy to replace and shouldn't cost more than a couple of bucks-just unplug and replace.If it was a bulb out they will flash really fast-less load on the bi-metal contact means it doesn't heat up as much and cycles faster.More info than you need to know-sometimes they split the sides in the flasher so one side works and the other doesn't.

BlackHawk T/A
    If a bulb is out and the lights don't flash it isn't going to click...also, you can still manually flash them.

NBM
    98 Z

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    I'd try replacing the flasher.I forget where they are at on this car but it's easy to find and replace-it's the thing making the clicking noise when you turn on the turn signals.If it's clicking when it's to the left just let it click and start looking.I believe it's under the knee guard thing under the steering column-they purposely put it somewhere you can hear it.Once you find it-it's really easy to replace and shouldn't cost more than a couple of bucks-just unplug and replace.If it was a bulb out they will flash really fast-less load on the bi-metal contact means it doesn't heat up as much and cycles faster.More info than you need to know-sometimes they split the sides in the flasher so one side works and the other doesn't.
    [nitpick]
    less bulbs in the system creating less heat makes it cycle slower, which used to be the case until they changed the system to make it not flash at all when a bulb is out (so you know something is wrong and can fix it).
    [/nitpick]

NBM
    98 Z

Anyway, for y2kformula:

1) Check again to make sure ALL the bulbs are working
    2) If all the bulbs are good, find the flasher with 02z28ls1's procedure and replace

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Alrite then-thanks to nit picky people (jk) I did a little more research in the manual and this is a complex circuit due to the day time running light stuff.Due to solid state logic circuits the left and right turn signals have their own relays and all kinds of stuff.They specifically state that if one front turn signal isn't working you need to check for open or poor connections in the circuit(just look at your wiring and connectors for now).If no problems found then replace the turn signal switch.You might want to take this to a shop as it requires messing w/the air bags and pulling the steering wheel and the lock plate under that.And I'm done looking up stuff for today-I wish this job payed better!Just kidding-I'm bored and I'm learning stuff as I go here so maybe I'll look it up later for you.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I'm gonna add something though-from your symptoms it sounds like the flasher.It doesn't flash at all when a bulb is out ( which is unlike older vehicles) because of the solid state logic circuits.The reason they would flash faster with a conventional flasher set-up has to do with the design.The thing that clicks in the flasher is a bi-metal strip that heats up and bends over and connects and disconnects the circuit.When it cools off it bends back straight.If there is a reduced amount of current (like when a bulb is out) running through the circuit it doesn't heat up as much-therefore it cools down faster-therefore it cycles faster (flashes faster).If your circuit voltage is up (bad voltage regulator causing overcharging for example)the flasher will actually slow down.I'm not talking theory here -I've seen these things in action in the past 25 years of working on cars for a living. It's a common misconseption .

LOLLIROT
    get a new one.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by LOLLIROT
    get a new one.
    Thanks for summing that up Lolli

BlackHawk T/A
    My 83 Monte Carlo did the same thing...if a bulb was out, they would stop flashing and just stay on.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

With those symptoms, it's gotta be a bulb.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

agreed -but doesn't he say it lights up?

Scooch
    Same problem here, but how do you get to the bulb (front lt) ?? its buried from top to bottom. 2000 T/A WS6.

Black
    2000 Forumla

Alright, I fixed it. All I did was replace the front right bulb. And yes.. its very hard to reach(2000 Formula). You have to remove the bottom plastic panel under the bumper and just pull it back and reach your arm in there and untwist the bulb housing. You wont be able to even see the bulb. I had to take the bulb out of the housing with 1 hand and just put the new one back in.. it takes a little while.. but it was worth it..

Thread Information