Black
    1999 Trans Am

Ressurecting Trans Am from Long Term Storage

My Trans Am has been parked in the garage for about two years now, and I am wondering what kind of maintenance I should do to safely bring her back to life. No preventative measures where taken when the car was parked. I have, however, driven it 3 or 4 time since it was parked, putting in a a few gallons of fresh fuel each time. (Was almost empty when parked) Same oil has been in the car for the whole time as well. It does have brand new KDW2 tires that were put on right before it was parked though.

This is now the longest is has sat in probably 8 months. It seemed to be running great when it was last driven. Is it safe to drive to the gas station to fill up with fresh fuel? (has about 1/2 tank of 8-12 month old gas now) Should I change the oil before even starting it? Run it for a few minutes, then change the oil?

Is there anything else that I should look out for after sitting this long? Anything I should do to bring her back to DD condition?

Thanks!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I don't know what shelf life is on gasoline, but a year old is probably pushing the limits. I would start with changing the oil. No need to change it twice. I would also check under the hood really well for any critters who have nested inside the engine bay. You'd be surprised what all has built nests in there over a year period; mice and spiders being the most likely.

My car sits from November til April (about 6 months) and I haven't had an issue with bad gasoline ever. I do start it once every few weeks though to keep the battery charged and this also allows oil to lubricate the internal engine components.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

What Jon said. If you can change the oil without starting the car, I'd do it that way. And let it drain for a good long time. Check your air filter for any creatures/nests. I've found nuts stored in air filters! Along with cat food.

Also I'd drive it to the gas station and fill it with the best you can get, to dilute the 8 month old gas.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

In addition to the above: Air up the tires - including the spare, check all fluids, take a look at your belts and hoses, and then fire her up. Keep an eye on the temp gauge to make sure the thermostat opens and allow the car to come all the way up to temp. If it's an auto, pull the gear selector back through each position one by one, holding it in each for a few seconds to charge all the circuits. After you get her back running again, change your oil, get some fresh gas in her, and then change your fuel filter after a bit of driving once all the old gas has been used up.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

If your oil is "full synthetic", I would not worry about it, if it is "dino" oil, I would change it out.

SteveC

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

one more thing to add, check the tires for dry rot and cracks. I've seen many times after deployments that tires that had a good amount of tread dry rotted and cracked from sitting in storage. Owner airs up the tires gets a few miles down the road and either is fixing a flat or has a blow out.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I agree with all suggestions above.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

The old fuel is going to be a big issue for the injectors. I would put two bottles of Techron in before I filled it with Premium gas. Run the tank down and refill with premium and one bottle of Techron. That should get you back to normal.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Check coolant level, check oil (perhaps change it too), check other fluids, check tires and tire pressure, test electrical and battery.. just to sum things up doesn't hurt to do the seafoam treatment too, as well as another form of gasoline tank treatment.
    2014 Camaro: Check. 2SS: Check. 1LE: Check. 6 Speed manual? CHECK

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

If you ever let the car sit for a long time in the future, put in some Fuel Stabilizer and drive the car for a few minutes so it gets everywhere. This is supposed to keep your gas fresh for up to one year. The brand that is available where I live is called "Sta-Bil', and can be found at any auto parts store. You've had some excellent advise from everyone above. I can't think of anything that was missed. Best of luck to you.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Thanks for the replies everyone! Today is the day--I'm going to charge the battery, change the oil before I start it, check for critters, then drive it straight to the gas station for a full tank of fresh fuel. The oil was Mobil1 Full Synthetic so I don't imagine it has broken down or separated or anything. And fortunately the KDWs still look OK, other than being a little low all the way around. Thanks again...I will post up if I run into anything unexpected.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

+ A bottle of Heet.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Sounds good bud keep us updated on how everything runs

Thread Information