Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Resetting the cars computer

...Many post here could probably be avoided by resetting the cars OBDII...you add a CAI and now she doesn't idle worth a damn...or just experiencing a change in the way your baby performs....always try this exercise first.
    Turn your key on. Do not start the engine...just turn your key on. Leave it on.
    Disconnect your negative battery cable.
    Let her sit there for 5-10 minutes. With the key on you are discharging all the capacitors etc.
    Now turn your key off. Reconnect your negative battery cable.
    Follow this driving cycle exactly.. http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html
    You will be amazed what this simple exercise does for your car and the little caveats/nuisances that pop up from time to time can be cleared by following these simple procedures......
    Your home PC needs maintenance from time to time...like spyware removal/defrag etc. Your cars "PC" is no different.....

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Couldn't you just pull the PCM IGN & PCM BAT fuses as opposed to disconnecting the negative battery cable?

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93
    Couldn't you just pull the PCM IGN & PCM BAT fuses as opposed to disconnecting the negative battery cable?
    Yes
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert
    Yes
    I thought so, been so long since i've done it, I was kind of fuzzy on it.

It would be a good idea to know your radio code before pulling the power.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yes you can accomplish resetting 95% of the computer by pulling the fuses....BUT....you do not drain all the capacitors nor all of the memory. Problem with pulling the PCM fuse is you do not force Fuel Trim/EGR and Purge to "relearn"......Dischare it completely and they have no choice but to relearn......Often times with a aftermarket cam or a custom tune you will ocassionally get a die at idle when its warmed up....you can pull the fuse and it does the same damn thing.....follow the above procedure and it will relearn and rectify the problem......
    Or so I hear
    Last edited by Sarge; 11-06-2005 at 02:04 PM.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    Yes you can accomplish resetting 95% of the computer by pulling the fuses....BUT....you do not drain all the capacitors nor all of the memory. Problem with pulling the PCM fuse is you do not force Fuel Trim/EGR and Purge to "relearn"......Dischare it completely and they have no choice but to relearn......Often times with a aftermarket cam or a custom tune you will ocassionally get a die at idle when its warmed up....you can pull the fuse and it does the same damn thing.....follow the above procedure and it will relearn and rectify the problem......
    Or so I hear
    Ahhhhhh............Soooooooooo!
    I get smarter everyday! (not much, but some)

Thanks!

Will this give you any extra horspower if its never been done before? I've got long tubes ls6 intake maf, slp cold air 3 inch exhaust.

Black

With all that? Please get a tune. The headers probably made you run real lean.

Well right now I cant afford a tune, will a hypertech help? I can probably find one for about $150 used.

Black

Nope, don't waste your money.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by shady1504
    Will this give you any extra horspower if its never been done before? I've got long tubes ls6 intake maf, slp cold air 3 inch exhaust.
    Let me understand...you bolted on headers/CAI/intake and left the stock tune in it......and you a Texan!
    Listen young man...I am talking flash code....you need binary code....in small talk...a dyno tune.....Ol Big Ed is right as rain...you are fucking up with your A/F....timing...etc.....You should do the above to let your engine relearn all the fun gadgets.....it will only help...but for goodness sakes...get your ride tuned man....No ensucie alrededor con su hombre del coche.

Black
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by shady1504
    You say you can't afford a tune?????? I say you can't aford not to get one. Right as rain you should be running way on the lean side. If that is so then you are headed eventually for a nice burn hole in your one of your pistons, Thats going to cost you about 3 times what a tune would cost. And yes as the sarge said you need code... In other words an actual tuner not one of those damn Hypertec hand-helds. They only fine-tune your engine around the stock parts with the exception of a cooler stat.
    Yes this is a big purchase if you want one yourself but its one of the most powerfull tools you will ever own for your LS1 as long as you take the time to know how to use it.

Wish I could get a dyno tune but they're is no one locally that does dyno tuning. My complete mods in detail are SLP(lid, cold air, 85mm mass air flow sensor, 85mm throttle body, ls6 intake) MSD wires, Flow tech long tubes, ORY pipe, 02 sims, 3 inch full exhaust with Flowmaster and stock tips. Stock I was running 14.5's(4800ft elevation A4 with 2.73's).Were basically a second slower up here than sea level. After I added the lid, cold air, and mass air flow sensor my times dropped to 14.0. Once I added the headers and full exhaust my times dropped down to 14.4. Then I added the LS6 intake and my times were the same except for once when I got a 13.8.

SO would hp tuners do it instead of a dyno tune? How would I burn a hole in my piston? I'm not running nitrous so I don't really see a problem. Though my car is still under warranty so I'm not worried right now.

Black
    2002 Camaro

Ohh my god a tune would help you so much... I can honestly say I would say almost a full second faster not to mention the engine would just perform better all-around. Im not sure if you are ready for something lieka tuner. I thought I was but I was over my head in programming. I am slowly getting it everyday though. As long as you can give yourself enough patience to learn the program and what it can do for you then I would say go ahead and spend the $400.00-$700.00 for a tuner. Over time and over the more knowledge you gain learning how to use it it will greatly become one of the best investments you will ever buy. I would check out the tuners section for tips/hints on what to buy. I use EFILive just incase you were wandering. If you think this is definately not for you or you just dont have the money right now there are several companies that take your PCM and program it for you vased on what you have. This may be a better option for you for right now. This service runs around $150.00. Some even send you there PCM and then once you recieve it you send them yours in return and they refund you some amount.
    Hope this helps.

Black
    2002 Camaro

No a HP tuner will not reprogram whats needed for what you have.
    and you can burn a hole in your piston by running lean because a lean condition produces seriously high tempuratures in your combustion chambers. The stock pistons were just not designed to handle this kind of heat for such extended periods of time, thus they break down and eventually melt through the top. Actually I would be more woried about your Cats than anything.

Which mail order tune woud you recommend for my mods?

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroCrazyChris
    No a HP tuner will not reprogram whats needed for what you have.
    and you can burn a hole in your piston by running lean because a lean condition produces seriously high tempuratures in your combustion chambers. The stock pistons were just not designed to handle this kind of heat for such extended periods of time, thus they break down and eventually melt through the top. Actually I would be more woried about your Cats than anything.
    Why won't hp tuners reprogram what I need? What exactly do I need to reprogram? Don't have to worry about my cats since I don't have any, Ive got o2 simulators.

Black
    2002 Camaro

You will need to reprogram a host of different things from timing and spark tables to fuel tables. You cant use a Hypertech because as I stated before the Hypertech is desighned to retune your vehicle based on the fact that the engine is still stock. The only modification it takes into consideration is a colder thermostat. The Hypertech will optimize everything for the stock set-up not for no-cats, headers, intake, ect. I have only used EFILIVE so I couldnt give you a unbiased recomendation, however I do love my program that I chose. The main reason I chose EFILive was because of its free product updates that othe componies usually charge for. I think though the send your PCM off to get it tuned would be your best option for now.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Good info here.

Thread Information