Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Replacing torque arm - Possible issue

I'm not sure if I have a problem or not --

I am in the process of swapping out my rear. When I loosened the bottom rearmost torque arm bracket bolt on the transmission (A4), fluid immediately began to run out the ends of the through hole. I snugged the bolt back down and checked my service manual. It does not say anything about draining the transmission fluid before removing this bracket.

I do not see any visible damage on the transmission tail stock, no cracks or anything to indicate a problem. Is this correct? Do I simply need to drain down some fluid, or do I have a problem?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Intentionally posted in General Help as an install question
    Last edited by pajeff02; 01-09-2010 at 04:51 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

hmmm.never have seen that before. i know on my m6 it doesnt do that and i have pulled a4 trans out of ls1's before. sounds like an internal crack or somethin

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Hey Jeff. I've read quite a bit about this stuff now and I've never read anything like you mention. Doesn't say anything about this in any install manual for a torque arm I've seen either.

It sounds like something is wrong, like above mentioned...crack or something.

Hope not, but free bump anyway.

Subscribed to learn something I might not know.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Keep us posted, I'll be doing the torque arm swap myself weekend after next

I'd say you have an issue.

I've had the torque arm off my auto equipped camaro twice,,,and it never did that. If I remember right those are blank holes.

Should be an easy fix though. Probably a simple tailshaft housing swap.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

I agree with Firebirdjones.....that shouldn't be happening.

Either there's an internal crack on the inside of the tail shaft or the threaded hole was tapped too deep. I'd suggest you contact a trans shop to be sure. If it's minor enough, you can just weld up the hole or crack since the tailshaft is made of aluminum.

Not sure the reason yours is leaking but another vote for getting rid of the stock style torque arm and having one that doesn't attach to the tailshaft housing.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I'm going to remove the bolt and see what happens. No questions it has fluid behind it from the amount that came out when I first loosened it. I'll post pics and let you guys know what I find.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

After the intial gush of fluid, it slowed to a weep and then stopped. I have to take a look with a mirror and flashlight now that I have everything out of the way. It must be a very small crack or a bad casting as I still have fluid above it (slid the yoke out to check) and it is not running out the bolt hole.

Ah the pic helps to clear things up. I can see fluid coming out of both sides of that bolt.

It's definately not supposed to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    Not sure the reason yours is leaking but another vote for getting rid of the stock style torque arm and having one that doesn't attach to the tailshaft housing.
    Just asking, but doesn't someone make a torque arm bracket now that somehow attaches the factory arm to the transmission crossmember?? It may have been a completely newly designed cross member with the bracket. Therefore removing it from the tailhousing. It would be a cheaper route to go since it doesn't require an entire $400 aftermarket torque arm.

For some reason I seem to remember seeing that somewhere before??

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Just asking, but doesn't someone make a torque arm bracket now that somehow attaches the factory arm to the transmission crossmember?? It may have been a completely newly designed cross member with the bracket. Therefore removing it from the tailhousing. It would be a cheaper route to go since it doesn't require an entire $400 aftermarket torque arm.

For some reason I seem to remember seeing that somewhere before??
    I think you are correct -- I have done a lot of looking recently before I purchased a UMI tunnel mount setup.

It appears that the through bolt is welded to the torque arm bracket, so the only way to fully remove it is either to drop the trans in the back or simply cut through the bolt (destructive disassembly) with a die grinder. If I opt for dropping the trans crossmember, remembering to undo my air lid, how much will the back of the trans safely drop? Enough to remove the bracket?

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

UMI has a replacement tranny mount that has a bracket to relocate the torque arm off the tailshaft. Give Mark at KYspeed a call and he can help you out. They are sponsors and have great prices.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post
    UMI has a replacement tranny mount that has a bracket to relocate the torque arm off the tailshaft. Give Mark at KYspeed a call and he can help you out. They are sponsors and have great prices.
    I'm very familiar with KY Speed -- Mark has helped me spend more than a few dollars over the past several months. I already have a UMI tunnel mount from there that arrived just last week.

On the original topic -- from the passenger side I can not see anything obviously wrong. The bracket is still in the way on the driver side. Again, as posted above, I'm trying to determine in I can lower the transmission enough to remove it, or if I should just whack it with the die grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I think you are correct -- I have done a lot of looking recently before I purchased a UMI tunnel mount setup.

It appears that the through bolt is welded to the torque arm bracket, so the only way to fully remove it is either to drop the trans in the back or simply cut through the bolt (destructive disassembly) with a die grinder. If I opt for dropping the trans crossmember, remembering to undo my air lid, how much will the back of the trans safely drop? Enough to remove the bracket?
    The trans will drop enough, but you will also have to undo the exhaust system. Whether you have manifolds or headers, the collectors will have to be loosened to allow the engine/trans to drop enough.
    If you have collectors that are slip fit it will require removal of the y pipe more than likely.

Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post
    Aha, my memory served correct for a change,,,lol.

Thanks, I'd like to try one out.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I already have the tunnel brace off, so it would be easiest just to slip the exhaust off at the merge (back of the Y). That should allow the whole exhaust system room to pivot -- I'll have to take a look in the morniing. Thanks FBJ!

I already have a UMI tunnel mount from there that arrived just last week.

That's different than the setup I'm talking about,,,correct??

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's different than the setup I'm talking about,,,correct??

See Post #15 in this thread for a picture: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127890

I already have the tunnel brace off, so it would be easiest just to slip the exhaust off at the merge (back of the Y). That should allow the whole exhaust system room to pivot -- I'll have to take a look in the morniing. Thanks FBJ!
    Yep,,,,that'll work too.

Don't know what I was thinking, I forgot about that connection back there,,,,,,lol.

See Post #15 in this thread for a picture: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127890
    Okay, that's what I was thinking you had.

I see Moser still isn't welding the brake line tabs on the axle tubes,,,ugh. Did they ever move the vent??

Thread Information