Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Replacing motor mounts

So I'm about ready to start doing the lt's on my 98 Trans Am and I figured I might as well do the motor mounts since most people do and at 19k and being 11 years old, well I think she needs em any tips on how to change em? Or hold the engine up somehow?

Do you have Long-Tube Headers? Car lowered?
    Make sure you have lots of jacks and jack stands, along with some various sizes of wood ( for the the jack ). I have never attempted to do motor mounts with out a lift; I also still have the original motor mounts in my car with 200K
    Good luck with it!

Got passenger window problems?
    http://www.autotrix.net
    **Window Express Down Modules now availible**
    http://www.autotrix.net/products.html

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I'm gonna do the longtubes this weekend maybe and the car is stock height.. but I'm not sure where to support the engine while the mounts are off, I don't wanna crush my oil pan

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    I'm gonna do the longtubes this weekend maybe and the car is stock height.. but I'm not sure where to support the engine while the mounts are off, I don't wanna crush my oil pan

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...r-written.html

It is a PIA. I have a y-pipe banging and need to do it too..... I am just gonna wait for warm weather now....

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

the oil pan is a structual jack point on the engine due to how it is tied into the engine. That is what the block of wood is for..you put the wood on the jack and then start to lift the engine by the oil pan...HOWEVER! make sure you disconnect intake so the lid maf etc...also you dont need to lift the engine much. also make sure you soak the shit out of the bolts on the motor mounts for like 1 to 2 days...not the big ass one tho..that one was easy ..mine is a 98 with 85k and i drove it through the winter so that didn't help...but really soak those bolts before you do it...i'd suggest for the night really.

but anyways..remove the stock manifolds ...then lift the engine slightly(to relieve the stress on the main bolt) take the big ass bolt out..the engine is now only being held by the jack (try doing 1 side at a time..i didn't and should have i think) then take the 3 or 4 bolts off the clam ..swap them...line the holes back up and slide the big bolt through ..done!

red
    99 camaro

I was lucky enough to get the drivers one out by removing the alternator. The pas one is probably going to have to be done by removing the ac compressor. The bolts are about 8 in long and installed from the front side so theres nowhere for the bolt to slide out till the comp is romoved. If someone has a better way then by all means speak up!!!

Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

i had the same fight. it wasn't easy, but it wasn't hard--just very time consuming due to how little i could get the bolts to move on some of them. i didn't remove the compressor or even the alternator. i actually unbolted the k-member and let it hang while i removed and installed spohn solid motor mounts.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

went i attempted to do mine..i removed the alt. and the compressor...pb blaster and air tools didn't even budge them..nor the breaker bar.

red
    99 camaro

both sets of bolts on the drivers side came right out verry easily but I was getting impatient by the time I got around to the pass side and just figured it would take removing the ac to get it. The drivers side was the worst so The pass side can wait till warmer weather.

Thread Information