Light Pewter (11)
    2001 Camaro

replacing fuel filter en brake fluid ?

hi,

Question, mine 2001 European Camaro has run 36500km (22500 miles), when do i need to replace the fuel filter ?

I have a 2001 (GM) service manual, and the manual says: there is not a time interval for a fuel filter, you only need to replace a "restricted fuel filter.
    When i read this correctly, i just need to replace the filter when the car is not running anymore (restricted fuel filter) ? Strange ?

The last time the brake fluid is refreshed is at 26000km (16250 miles) this was 2006, i had read somewhere the best is to change the fluid every 2 year, but is it neccesary after 10000km (6250 miles) ?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

You are right, there is no specified mileage for the fuel filter, but I change mine every 30,000 miles. For the brake fluid, it's a good idea to flush it every 3 years or so, whether the car is driven or not.

But I've serviced a lot of cars that are over 10 years old, and they have never had either done!

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Fuel filter every 10,000 miles, or year. whichever comes first. Its a cheap,simple piece of insurance. You never know what could end up in the tank.
    As far as the brake fluid i agree with above every three years or so. The main reason is moisture builds up in the fluid and starts eating away at the internals.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 SS Camaro

MINES NEVER BEEN REPLACED, 11YRS OLD, 58K. MIND YOU I JUST BOUGHT ONE THE OTHER DAY AND PLAN ON PUTTING IT IN THIS WEEKEND. I BELIEVE YOU SHOULD DO IT EVERY 60K WOULD BE FINE, EVEN THOUGH I THINK YOU CAN GO TO 120-160K WITH OUT A ISSUE. UNLESS YOU GET BAD GAS OR FROM A REAL OLD STATION YOU SHOULD BE FINE. aND ALL THE CARS I HAVE OWNED AND DO OWN I'VE NEVER CHANGED OR FLUSH THE BRAKE FLUID.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Even though our car will not see a lot of miles, the fuel filter will be replaced every other year and brake fluid flushed every three years. Simple maintenance items that if not performed can definitely lead to problems and performance issues over time.

For flushing the brake lines I strongly recommend using a Mity-Vac. You can pick up the plastic version for around $30.00 last I knew. It makes the job so much simpler. Just be sure you do not draw the master cylinder down to far and pull air into the system during the process.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder 42 View Post
    MINES NEVER BEEN REPLACED, 11YRS OLD, 58K. MIND YOU I JUST BOUGHT ONE THE OTHER DAY AND PLAN ON PUTTING IT IN THIS WEEKEND. I BELIEVE YOU SHOULD DO IT EVERY 60K WOULD BE FINE, EVEN THOUGH I THINK YOU CAN GO TO 120-160K WITH OUT A ISSUE. UNLESS YOU GET BAD GAS OR FROM A REAL OLD STATION YOU SHOULD BE FINE. aND ALL THE CARS I HAVE OWNED AND DO OWN I'VE NEVER CHANGED OR FLUSH THE BRAKE FLUID.
    Bad gas from an old station wont make much of a difference when it comes to the filter. What your trying to prevent is sediment and particals from entering the fuel line and injectors.
    J

Thread Information