Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Replace A/C Dryer and Lines

Well, I think I have a general idea of how to do this, or at least enough information to get myself stuck.

I will be replacing the a/c dryer, hose assembly, and orifice expansion thing this weekend. I also plan to fill it back up with the freon that has oil and dye in it.

I'm using the rental tool for the a/c vacuum and hoses.

my guess is, shh don't tell the EPA, use the low side port to um, know, empty what's left of the 134a. I was thinking about letting it shoot into a milk jug or coke bottle. I hate getting that oil junk on the belts.

I plan to do this with the car off, because I think it is that obvious you change these parts with nothing running.

I plan to buy an a/c tool thing so if i get the right tools I do plan on using them. What tools do i need? I will have a rental vacuum and hose set (should have gages), but seriously doubt there will be instructions.

next I will struggle to figure out how to take apart the dryer and hose assembly. This is where I need help.

How do I remove the dryer and assembly hose?

How do I put them back on?

How do I put the new parts on?

Do I have to remove the compressor? It would seem easier if I did.

after I get every thing back together I will use the vacuum. My uncle suggested vacuuming down from the low and high ports. And I am assuming that means to pull it down to zero and no more.

This is one area Haynes does not cover.

thanks

kool-aide

black
    2002 WS6

Here is some news for ya, you will need the machine to do it. The systems are put under a vacuum before filling to remove any air, dirt and moisture. All of wich will kill the compressor in a couple of hours or less of operation.

Also that stuff (unless contaminated) Is reusable, just some FYI for ya. Might wanna so some more reading up on it before you spend any more money then needed.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    Here is some news for ya, you will need the machine to do it. The systems are put under a vacuum before filling to remove any air, dirt and moisture. All of wich will kill the compressor in a couple of hours or less of operation.

Also that stuff (unless contaminated) Is reusable, just some FYI for ya. Might wanna so some more reading up on it before you spend any more money then needed.
    thanks, yes, i am aware it is reusable, but i have a leak and the odds of how I have left is just a guess. Plus I plan to fill with the dye to check for any leaks when I'm done.

I will be renting the vacuum pump from the parts store with gages. The a/c connect tool I plan to buy. It didn't seem too expensive.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

you need to pull it down as far as the vacuum pump will go and let it run for some time. a vacuum will boil the moisture. the longer you let it run, the more you'll get out. turn off the pump and let it sit for about five minutes. watch the gauges and see if it starts to come up from the vacuum point. if it does, you still have a leak somewhere. if not, then fill it up to the recommended amount with the engine running and compressor on. low side raeading should be about 30-35psi. high side around 150 psi.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    you need to pull it down as far as the vacuum pump will go and let it run for some time. a vacuum will boil the moisture. the longer you let it run, the more you'll get out. turn off the pump and let it sit for about five minutes. watch the gauges and see if it starts to come up from the vacuum point. if it does, you still have a leak somewhere. if not, then fill it up to the recommended amount with the engine running and compressor on. low side raeading should be about 30-35psi. high side around 150 psi.
    the hose i'm replacing is the one that runs from the dryer down to the compressor. I think it is the compressor, that's the one at the front of the engine on the belt. I'm guessing it is easier to change this line with that part off the car?

Do I need to vacuum down the system before I remove the old dryer and hose line? Like I said earlier, what's left of the freon I plan to let it shoot out into a bottle. The bottle is really to catch the oil as it flies out.

I'm assuming the vacuum pump is just that, and is not for recovery, hence the not so EPA friendly approach.

it sounds simple, but i still feel as if i'm missing something.

thanks

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

oh this doesn't even begin to explain the nightmare. aside from a new part that was 100% right, hours of trying to get a bolt off the compressor i didn't need to, lol...it was a bracket bolt DOH. every stubborn angry bolt with ten years of built up hate just gave it to me all night long.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92228

i can honestly say i should have listened to that crazy voice in my head, go to a shop and have them do it, lol...

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    oh this doesn't even begin to explain the nightmare. aside from a new part that was 100% right, hours of trying to get a bolt off the compressor i didn't need to, lol...it was a bracket bolt DOH. every stubborn angry bolt with ten years of built up hate just gave it to me all night long.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92228

i can honestly say i should have listened to that crazy voice in my head, go to a shop and have them do it, lol...
    Geezus dude!
    You have me wondering if I wanna takle this project now!
    Thanks for the info in the PM too!

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Geezus dude!
    You have me wondering if I wanna takle this project now!
    Thanks for the info in the PM too!
    giggle, lol...

you have to understand I have a lot of projects that always seem to go wrong or all night.

Not too mention it seems every nut and bolt on my car just has a way of saying FU, let's get it on, kind of challenge and it always wants to win.

I also don't have air tools or any fancy tools, not even a creeper.

After I look back on a rough project I always smack my forehead and think why did that take so long, man I'm Cecil the slow ass turtle.

I kind of liked the project because every thing was just normal bolts, not always easy to get too but, nothing too bad.

the only reason i took the car in was to avoid spending twice the money on freon and dye looking for the leak. In the end I still saved at least half the cost if not a little more than going to a shop. I could have saved a Little more money by part shopping, but i took the easy way local auto store way out. Shopping on-line for the parts I could have saved another 40 bucks at least.

I didn't have any instructions or books, so i winged it the whole way. Probably why it took so long. It wasn't until i think like three hours in to getting one bolt off that i remembered a motor mount write up that told you which bolts to take off for the compressor, lol...

operating the vacuum and gages wasn't scary or hard at all. the gages came with a really cool laminated instruction car attached, very nice and super simple.

I also didn't start the job until way late after dinner, dumb idea, lol...

Thread Information