Thread: Remote Start

Chromalusion (7 colors)
    2000WS6 T/A

Remote Start

I have a 2000 WS6 T/A and a 2002 SS both with T56 sp.
    What is out there for a remote start that will know if the car is in gear.
    I want a system that will work everytime and not try to start the car in gear even if the E break is on.

Any Ideas?
    Thanks
    Joey
    2000 WS6 T/A Vortech V9 w/cooler 9psi. Hotchkis Sus, Spec stage 3 clutch, Sema car. 1/4 mile 11.61 at 121 mph.

www.voyagerracing.com

black
    98 Z28

I've never heard of a remote start that will work with a stick. Sorry man.
    Call a performance shop and ask one of the managers they might know.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Any remote start alarm will work it is just dangerous because the whole in gear thing. Most shops won't install an alarm on a manual for the liability issues. Some transmissions have a neutral switch on them that the alarm could check but unfortunetly our transmissions do not.

I have not heard of anything install that will tell. Let us know if you find something.

Black
    2000 TransAm WS6

There are remote start systems for your manual transmissions! The way the good ones work like compustar is after you install the system you have to set the reservation mode. Reservation involves leaving your vehicle in neutral. You must set your e-brake and a few seconds later remove the vehicle's key from the ignition. Your vehicle will remain running until you exit your vehicle and close all doors. The motor will shut down and your remote will receive a page back (2-Way remote) and lock and arm the system.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Roscomp91 View Post
    There are remote start systems for your manual transmissions! The way the good ones work like compustar is after you install the system you have to set the reservation mode. Reservation involves leaving your vehicle in neutral. You must set your e-brake and a few seconds later remove the vehicle's key from the ignition. Your vehicle will remain running until you exit your vehicle and close all doors. The motor will shut down and your remote will receive a page back (2-Way remote) and lock and arm the system.

Thats not remote start. Thats going out and starting your car and going back in until its warm. The only advantage is that it will shut off and not let someone still if the brake is hit. My alarm says it will work with manual transmission and it still has the same issues I spoke of. It has no way of knowing our car is in neutral because our tranny does not have a switch for that.

I did not hook mine up for fear of the one time I did leave it in gear and forgot along with my starter being designed to start the car with the clutch in. Not sure how long it would last starting the car turning the clutch and tranny everytime.

Black
    2000 TransAm WS6

I think you are confused about this specific alarm system since there is absolutely positively no way to start the vehicle in gear! This is the reason why! You must set your e-brake and a few seconds later remove the vehicle's key from the ignition. Your vehicle will remain RUNNING until you exit your vehicle and CLOSE ALL DOORS. The motor will shut down and your remote will receive a page back (2-Way remote) and lock and arm the system. Since you left your vehicle with it still running and shut the door there is no way it can be in any other position other than neutral Unless you jumped out while it was rolling down the road! Then after shut all your doors the brain box turns off your motor and also locks your doors while arming your security system so again there is no way it can be in any other position but neutral!

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Roscomp91 View Post
    I think you are confused about this specific alarm system since there is absolutely positively no way to start the vehicle in gear! This is the reason why! You must set your e-brake and a few seconds later remove the vehicle's key from the ignition. Your vehicle will remain RUNNING until you exit your vehicle and CLOSE ALL DOORS. The motor will shut down and your remote will receive a page back (2-Way remote) and lock and arm the system. Since you left your vehicle with it still running and shut the door there is no way it can be in any other position other than neutral Unless you jumped out while it was rolling down the road! Then after shut all your doors the brain box turns off your motor and also locks your doors while arming your security system so again there is no way it can be in any other position but neutral!
    Oh okay I see what you mean, the point is you still have to remember to do this everytime you get out of the car. Not any easier than remembering to put it in neutral except with this option the alarm makes you go thru an extra step.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I hooked up a remote start in a 98 Camaro that I had before. It was great as long as you remember to leave it in neutral--haha! All it takes is that one time an you'll regret it. I came up with an idea to use mercury switches on the stick itself to sense neutral position. It would work but wouldnt look good with all that stuff attached to the stick. I bought the switches and tested the idea an everything, just didn't actually go throught with it. I figured out how to bypass the clutch/starter interlock with a relay, and bypassed the VATS thing. The parking brake cannot hold back the power of the starter, but won't allow the engine to start from the drag on the engine I suppose. But it will move forward while cranking-just don't ask how I know!!

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1 View Post
    I hooked up a remote start in a 98 Camaro that I had before. It was great as long as you remember to leave it in neutral--haha! All it takes is that one time an you'll regret it. I came up with an idea to use mercury switches on the stick itself to sense neutral position. It would work but wouldnt look good with all that stuff attached to the stick. I bought the switches and tested the idea an everything, just didn't actually go throught with it. I figured out how to bypass the clutch/starter interlock with a relay, and bypassed the VATS thing. The parking brake cannot hold back the power of the starter, but won't allow the engine to start from the drag on the engine I suppose. But it will move forward while cranking-just don't ask how I know!!
    LOL... I figured this would be the same boat I would be in if I hooked it up.. Did the mercury switches just not work quite right?

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

It would've required rigging up a bracket to hold them (one for each direction from neutral-they only worked in one direction). As long as you weren't parked on a really steep hill (like San Fransico steep) they would've worked. I only tested them by holding them to the stick and testing the cut-off point of the switch with an ohmmeter-it looked good to go. I didn't have my welder and home garage at the time so my fabbing skillz were lacking then. I'd rig something up in a heartbeat now. I traded in my 98 for the last of the Z-28's an didn't look back. Too short of a stick on my Z (cut and welded the stick shorter-see what I mean about the fabbin stuff-lol). Another idea was for a linkage set-up to the stick that would exaggerate the motion of the stick for increased sensitivity and hide the switches below console level. A simple linkage is all that's necessary. The exagerration of motion didn't seem to be necessary-the switches I'm referring to are commonly available at stereo supply stores-they are little and black and fairly inconspicous. They were to be used for a hood safety switch for the remote starter but I never put them on there and got an extra one. Obviously I'm still interested in my little "invention" ha.

Chromalusion (7 colors)
    2000WS6 T/A

How about we get a T56 builder to install some type of mag sensor on the inside case. I know nothing about the workings of the gears but if they could weld some kind device that triggered a closure we could make it work.

Just a thought.
    Joey

Thread Information