Silver
    2000 TransAM M6

Question Rebuild or Wait and get a New Motor

I have a 00TA M6 With 96000 miles on it now I got it at 85000 in April.
    I put a SLP Loudmouth Exhaust on it so far but i was wondering if i should get a rebuild on my LS1 before I start doing major mods or wait until the one i have goes and get another motor? I plan on getting my TA to 400-450 Hp by next summer soo any help would be appreciated.

By the way this is my first car and i didnt know these were so fast.
    I was running with a 02 Vett AND WAS RIGHT THERE WITH HIM
    got him off the line though

BlackHawk T/A
    Your first car? Wow...did you pay for it yourself?

I wouldn't worry about an engine rebuild unless its smoking, burning oil or coolant or some other malfunction. It should last a long time with normal maintenence.

Do the standard bolt-ons, such as free up the intake and exhaust and get the engine breathing better, and put a better camshaft in there. You should be able to get 400rwhp without touching the heads.

As for a new motor you can always save up for that too but you will spend some $. I plan on dropping in an LS2 at some point when the mileage is higher but for now I don't need it. Until then I will do all the external bolt ons known to man.

You do a ton of driving it looks like...mine is a daily driver and i'll only put 5-6k tops on it per year.
    Last edited by BlackHawk T/A; 09-14-2005 at 08:50 AM.

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

wow, first off congrats on getting ur parents to buy u such a fast car as your first car. my dad wouldnt allow me to have so much power at the age of 16. so i got a firebird, got my ta at 20

anyway to ur question
    i honestly have the same thoughts about my motor as well, im hitting 98000 and i was thinking about rebuilding the motor, then i was thinking about dropping an ls2 into my car, then i went to just getting another ls1. i finally decided that if i do hit 100,000 and have no problems im going to go on the stock build for as long as i do not have any problems, if i start to develope problems then im going to look into rebuilding my motor with my dad.
    so my advice: if u have no problems dont worry about it, i know guys still going on their stock ls1s with ur mods and they are at 140000 miles
    good luck

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

stock meaning their stock motors
    sorry needed to clarify myself

Silver
    2000 TransAM M6

Yup, Paid for my self. Thanks for the advice and i think i will go bolt on. I saw an SLP Package for 400hp I will probably go with that. Yeah i do do a lot of Driving.
    Stock motor - Stock LS1
    Im not having any problems so far.

Give it an AutoRx treatment. This will remove any built up sludge & will help to condition the piston ring seals. It's very simple & you can read about it on the AutoRx web site. Follow the directions exactly. Congratulations on your first car.

Black
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ls1blackbeauty98
    so my advice: if u have no problems dont worry about it, i know guys still going on their stock ls1s with ur mods and they are at 140000 miles
    I know there was a '97 C5 that has 245k (last reported was at least a year ago) and the only major replacement other than normal maintenance was the clutch.
    Pretty sure he has well over 300k on it by now.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

wow im a new member on this site and i just got my 99 TA LS1 as well...its not my first car but its my first car that has this much power in it...it has 96k miles on it as well and im not havin any difficulty and i was concerned about puttin miles on it as well but going from what i hear the LS1s last forever like you all have said

Thread Information