Thread: Rebuild of LS1

Rebuild of LS1

My son bought a used LS1 to rebuild & install in his camero. while trying to start the engine after the install there was a loud bang & blew the oil cover seals out.....I don't know much regarding building an engine, there nothing in the way of timeing that I can tell any idea's?
    obviously he needs to repll the engine & make some checks & he insists there is nothing to time???????

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Tell us more about this LS1, what year was the car it came from? Vette or F-bod? Any modifications to your knowledge and mileage? Did you purchase the PCM with it? Try and give us all the info you can and everyone will be more than happy to try and help you out. Alot of guys on here have alot of expirience and have had multiple LS1's. Another site to try and check out is www.LS1tech.com they tend to not be so friendly sometimes though.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

Not sure but I think it came out of a 99TransAm He's putting it into a 98 camero. tore down the engine sent to a machine shop to have the heads reworked & everything checked, put in high compression rings other than that not sure what else the engine came with wiring harness. originally wasn't getting spark to right side of engine. determined that the harness on the car was not an exact match. no power to fuel injectors & coils on right side........got that resolved and the issue blowing valve cover gaskets. I could see blowing head but not valve covers

[QUOTE=planedad;683224]Not sure but I think it came out of a 99TransAm He's putting it into a 98 camero. tore down the engine sent to a machine shop to have the heads reworked & everything checked, put in high compression rings other than that not sure what else the engine came with wiring harness. originally wasn't getting spark to right side of engine. determined that the harness on the car was not an exact match. no power to fuel injectors & coils on right side........got that resolved and the issue blowing valve cover gaskets. I could see blowing head but not valve covers
    yes it came with PCM

Pewter
    '07 Silverado

While I'm not sure what would cause the valve covers to pop off, your son is essentially right about the timing. The LS1 uses an electronically controlled ignition system. There is a reluctor wheel on the crank which allows the computer to see crank position. The cam timing (assuming a stock cam and gear) is simply set dot to dot. I doubt this is of any help at least maybe I cleared up the timing question.

The 98's had a diffent PCM than the 99 and up but you said it came with wiring and pcm so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thread Information