Black
    2000 SS Camaro

Rebuild or crate Engine

I posted this on another web site trying to get as much feedback as I can. I have a 2000 SS that has 89,000 miles on it. It had some flaws from the factory such as piston knock at start up. There has been some mods and the car has been driven hard the last two years. Right now I believe that I might have some valve train issues.

I want to do a complete refresh on the car including paint. Would it be better to rebuild the existing engine or go with a crate engine? And if a crate engine would the LS6 be a better choice?

Also I am located around the Hershey PA area. I am looking to do this in the next two months. Does anyone know of any who does installs and tuning within a 120 miles of this area? Also anyone know of a good paint shop within the same distance?

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Whats your budget looking like? If you do a rebuild you can build the motor with whatever parts you want, ensuring it will handle additional abuse.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

rebuild what you got

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I would suggest analyzing what you've got to start with. Do a compression test-and a leak down test, look at oil pressure readings too, and see what you've got. I don't see you giving any reasons why you want to tear into the motor, piston slap doesn't affect anything. The best advice is to leave the motor together if it's not having any serious issues. Make sure everything else connected with the motor is kosher so that even if you do a rebuild or whatever you won't have any problems cropping up later.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Ive posted this before but if your on the budget this engine is hard to beat

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...3-P1625C0.aspx

brand new for $2,999.00

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

^ that is not a bad deal at all

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by ZtrackerZ View Post
    Does anyone know of any who does installs and tuning within a 120 miles of this area? Also anyone know of a good paint shop within the same distance?
    Try Harris Speed Works in Warminster, Pa. Their website is www.harrisspeedworks.com. They manufacture n20, dyno tune, and parts install. I've never used them yet, but I hear great things about them, and they're F-body specialits. I'm getting LT's and a cam soon and I'm going to take it there for the tune. Also, if you're going the rebuild route, there is a place in Mount Joy, Pa called Ruhl's Automotive. They do all sorts of performance stuff, and even rebuilds, head work, block steaming, yada yada. I don't know if they do much new muscle car stuff, but it's worth a shot. Here's there info...... Ruhl's Automotive
    717-653-5396
    1407 Carmany Rd
    Mount Joy PA 17552-9782

My friend's dad and his father in law use them a lot and they swear by their work! If you live near Harrisburg, how come you don't just go to C.J. Pony Parts HAHA

1998 Firebird Formula WS6

rebuild with forged internals and a good cam and good valvetrain that will be your best bet for power to money wise. and you can upgrade to a stroked forged kit for a little more money.

Thread Information