Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    99 z28

rear end problem....

i just swapped ring and pinon in my 99 z28 i had va speed put a set of 3.73s in they swapped all the bearings to except for axel bearings my problem is when you reach 35mph or more i get a very faint whinning noise and it gets a lil louder when u let off the gas. sounds almost kinda like a lifted truck with knobby tires. ive heard this is normal when you put a set of gears in a the factrory rear...someone has been in it before me though because it has a true track center section.....any ideas on what could be wrong cause im paranoid and it is kinda driving me up the wall

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

Did you set the correct pinion depth? You cant just swap the gears and call it a day, they need to be set up properly. That may be the problem .Otherwise, I know my gears were a bit noisey, not overly bad, only at certain speeds, like over 70 and under 30.

navy blue metallic
    2000 z28 camaro

sounds like a setup issue mine made a little noise with the 4.10s so i took out a little backlash and set the pinion at like4-5 thousanths pretty quiet now!!
    4.10 RICHMOND GEARS,LAKEWOOD LCA'S,EATON POSI,EDELBROCK TORQUE ARM,
    LAKEWOOD PANHARD BAR,SLP LID,,B&M RIPPER SHIFTER,EDELBROCK STRUT TOWER BRACE,SLP FAN CONTROL,SLP LINE LOCK,17 INCH ZR1S WITH 315 35S AND 275 40S,SLP Y-PIPE,TSP 224/224 112LSA CAM,COMP SPRINGS,TUNED BY FROST @ LSXTUNE.COM

black
    99 z28

i had a speed shop i work at Virginia Speed do it for me it only whines at 35 or above or when u let off the gas and it is very faint

blue
    1998 z28

set up need to be did

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Normal.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by leeepps74 View Post
    set up need to be did
    Huh?

Red
    1998 Camaro

Any aftermarket gears I have had made noise. The OEM gear set is the highest quality you can get, and the OEM setup is the best you can get (they need to run quietly for a long time, per the engineers' targets for NVH). I think it is unreasonable to expect the same quality components and set up from anywhere but where that axle was built orginally. I know a lot of people would argue, but seriously, ever hear of aftermarket gears lasting 150K miles without noise? I bet you know someone with an F Body or S10 with 150K miles on the factory rear that doesn't make any noise. I wouldn't be too concerned. Perhaps have your pals at the speed shop recheck the lash and pattern. Of course you broke the gears in properly and changed the gear lube?

black
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeybrnout View Post
    Any aftermarket gears I have had made noise. The OEM gear set is the highest quality you can get, and the OEM setup is the best you can get (they need to run quietly for a long time, per the engineers' targets for NVH). I think it is unreasonable to expect the same quality components and set up from anywhere but where that axle was built orginally. I know a lot of people would argue, but seriously, ever hear of aftermarket gears lasting 150K miles without noise? I bet you know someone with an F Body or S10 with 150K miles on the factory rear that doesn't make any noise. I wouldn't be too concerned. Perhaps have your pals at the speed shop recheck the lash and pattern. Of course you broke the gears in properly and changed the gear lube?
    broken in properly?? and ya i changed the gear lube and put that redline heavy shockproof stuff in it its just a little annoying the whine

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sounds like a set up issue to me. I would take them and have them properly set up. Look up a good 4x4 shop as they usually have a ton of experience setting up gear sets. Keep in mind that an aftermarket set of gears is going to have more noise than an oem set.

black
    99 z28

ill check the set up on it and things

black
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by LS16SPD View Post
    sounds like a setup issue mine made a little noise with the 4.10s so i took out a little backlash and set the pinion at like4-5 thousanths pretty quiet now!!
    where in va are u located at?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

I had gears in my old car done and there was no noise. When they are new you should drive easy for the first 250-500 miles to break them in. Then pull the cover and change the fluid and make any changes. If there is noise then the setup is off.

black
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    I had gears in my old car done and there was no noise. When they are new you should drive easy for the first 250-500 miles to break them in. Then pull the cover and change the fluid and make any changes. If there is noise then the setup is off.
    There is def noise very faint but still noise

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

2 many VA ppl in this thread!

white
    95 f-150

I have always heard of aftermarket gears whining

Red
    1998 Camaro

Manufacturer of the gears I bought recommended 3 heat cycle periods, accomplished by light load variable speed driving for roughly 20 miles. with at least a 20 min. cool down between (rear end cover was 300 degrees after 20 miles). After that, avoid severe loads for another 200 - 400 miles. Change the gear lube, and let it rip.

black
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeybrnout View Post
    Manufacturer of the gears I bought recommended 3 heat cycle periods, accomplished by light load variable speed driving for roughly 20 miles. with at least a 20 min. cool down between (rear end cover was 300 degrees after 20 miles). After that, avoid severe loads for another 200 - 400 miles. Change the gear lube, and let it rip.
    o i fail big time then cause ive already laid into it a couple times crap

navy blue metallic
    2000 z28 camaro

pretty much anytime you change gears in these factory 10 bolts you are going to get some noise even if the setup is perfect you will probably get a little whine on decel its probably nothing to worry about at all. if it starts to sound like theres a firetruck chasing you.... then you may have an issue!!

black
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by LS16SPD View Post
    pretty much anytime you change gears in these factory 10 bolts you are going to get some noise even if the setup is perfect you will probably get a little whine on decel its probably nothing to worry about at all. if it starts to sound like theres a firetruck chasing you.... then you may have an issue!!
    Not yet it doesnt....right now it is just whinning

Thread Information