Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Rear Defogger, and power seat down

Power seat and rear defogger were working great on my WS6 until two days ago; now neither are working.

Replaced the 30a circuit breaker, still doesn’t work, I do not see a stand alone fuse for this circuit. I assume something with the wiring, before the two systems split off but this is just a W.A.G.. Anyone been through this before, are have any keepers?

Triple White
    1998 Camaro SS convert

Have you confirmed there is power feeding the 30A breaker in the IP fuse block? The left socket of this breaker should be hot at all times. This breaker is fed from a fusible link that also powers the radio and courtesy fuses. Are these systems working correctly?
    Last edited by PeterPar; 02-03-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPar View Post
    Have you confirmed there is power feeding the 30A breaker in the IP fuse block? The left socket of this breaker should be hot at all times. This breaker is fed from a fusible link that also powers the radio and courtesy fuses. Are these systems working correctly?
    Radio and courtesy lamps are fine. I will check for continuity at the block but I have a feeling that I am not getting power.

Has this happened to. Anyone else before?

Is there a specific spot that this circuit is grounded at?

Triple White
    1998 Camaro SS convert

Have you considered disconnecting the seat harness to see if the defogger will work and then the opposite, disconnect the defogger harness behind the HVAC controls in the dash to see if the seat works? This could help isolate the problem area if one will work when the other is disconnected. Did you use the defogger shortly before this problem showed up?

black
    02 TransAm Ramair WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Radio and courtesy lamps are fine. I will check for continuity at the block but I have a feeling that I am not getting power.

Has this happened to. Anyone else before?

Is there a specific spot that this circuit is grounded at?
    Hey Scott, there is a thread if you scroll all the way to the bottom of this thread that starts as " HELP Camaro rear defogger " - You might find it helpful. It's old but may still apply.
    '02 Black RamAir M6--Kooks LTH, Magnaflo, Lowered Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks, Tuned By Frost, K&N & SLP box, Smooth bellows, polished TB, Spohn perf. suspension, shock tower brace. UMI 3point SFC. Front & side splitters w/ canards. American Racing 18" wheels & Mich. Pilot SS titres
    '76 LagunaS3 - 355ci , 350 turbo, 3:55's

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmTerry View Post
    Hey Scott, there is a thread if you scroll all the way to the bottom of this thread that starts as " HELP Camaro rear defogger " - You might find it helpful. It's old but may still apply.
    Went to do the continuity test and saw that the plastic of the fuse block for the right side terminal in melted. I have a feeling that the right side is borked up, and needs a resolute/repair.

Hooray for me
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Went to do the continuity test and saw that the plastic of the fuse block for the right side terminal in melted. I have a feeling that the right side is borked up, and needs a resolute/repair.

Hooray for me
    Anyone know where to get just the fuse block, w/o wiring, or should I just have them rewire a blank spot, and plug a 25a circuit breaker?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Update: Ordered a used interior fuse block for the car, on EBay, for $29.00, delivered. Now I need to find a shop that’ll wire it in, with fresh contacts (at least for the defroster/seat. Circuit breaker), for a nice price.

Anyone know if replacing the 30A breaker with a 25A breaker would help keep the circuit cooler, or is the waste heat going to be the same?

Also thinking of buying a used panel cover, and cutting holes, for venting, maybe even a little electric fan (.2A pull) to circulate air in there. Is there a way to have an open circuit set another circuit to close, in order to run the fan?

Triple White
    1998 Camaro SS convert

Anyone know if replacing the 30A breaker with a 25A breaker would help keep the circuit cooler, or is the waste heat going to be the same?
    No, the 25A breaker would just open sooner than the 30A. You wouldn't change any circuit properties except the maximum amount of current allowed to be drawn before the breaker opens. The heat comes from the resistance to current flow in the circuit.

Also thinking of buying a used panel cover, and cutting holes, for venting, maybe even a little electric fan (.2A pull) to circulate air in there. Is there a way to have an open circuit set another circuit to close, in order to run the fan?
    Sure, a relay could do this.
    Last edited by PeterPar; 02-19-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Scott - do you want me to grab my books and check out the schematic before you go all ape under the dash?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Scott - do you want me to grab my books and check out the schematic before you go all ape under the dash?
    Thanks Jeff but I’m not there yet. All the shops that I’ve talked to around here don’t want to rewire a replacement fuse block because of liability.

I didn’t think it would be that much of an issue,pull terminals out of old box of good, plug into new one, replace any bad ones.

They are just talking about wiring an independent fuse spot for the breaker.

Thread Information