Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Rear Brakes Installation Problem!!

im doing my rear brakes and have bought pads and rotors.
    i could not get the old rotors off in order to install the new ones
    i removed the caliper mounting bracket and everything else to where the rotor was the only thing on the hub.
    i ended up just changing the pads with some ceramic "quiet stops" by raybestos.
    now when driving, i hear a hissing sound from the rear passenger side only when i turn the steering wheel to the right!!
    what could this hissing sound be coming from?
    i used the lubricant stuff and all that but it still makes noise
    any help is appreciated...thanks!

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The hissing noise will be the pads rubbing against the rotor slightly. The axles have a slight amount of side to side movement that allows the rotor to move closer to the pad. This will stop making the noise after a break in period of around 500 miles or so probably. The rotors were stuck to the axles, nothing a good whacking with a hammer and a little PB Blaster wouldn't have cured. I'd borrow a good sized hammer and give it another go.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

cool, thats what i was hoping to hear!
    thanks and i'll try the hammer again in the morning!

Yeah the rotors sometimes need some "help" coming off - I'd try again using a rubber mallet. Make sure the emergency brake is off, along with the little "star" washer thing on the wheel stud.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    Yeah the rotors sometimes need some "help" coming off - I'd try again using a rubber mallet. Make sure the emergency brake is off, along with the little "star" washer thing on the wheel stud.
    damn i had the emergency brake up the entire time!!
    and what is the "star" washer thing?

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

it looks like that.

google is your friend.

The star washer thing (what I call it) is on one of the lugs that came from the factory, might not be there if the rotors were pulled before. When I did mine I didn't bother putting it back on. And yeah, with the emergency brake on it's tough to get the rear rotors off, or back on.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

The star washer thing (what I call it) is on one of the lugs that came from the factory, might not be there if the rotors were pulled before. When I did mine I didn't bother putting it back on. And yeah, with the emergency brake on it's tough to get the rear rotors off, or back on.
    is the star washer visible when looking directly at the rotor and lugs?
    all of the studs looked the same except one was al little shorter....probably a newer one due to a cross-threaded lug
    btw....do u think i broke anything since i was pounding on it to come out with the ebrake on?
    thanks again

It's visible just looking at the lugs with the wheel off, even if the brake wasn't on it wouldn't keep the rotor from coming off with some muscle. Don't think you broke anything pounding on it, but the stock rotor might be bent depending on how much force you used. I'd just pull and replace the rotors like you intended.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Just take a look around, should be fine, although you should see the washers on the front side of the rotor, over the studs.
    keep in mind since you didnt turn your rotors your pads will break in to your current rotors so when you replace them you may have vibration's and sounds that are just annoying.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

It's visible just looking at the lugs with the wheel off, even if the brake wasn't on it wouldn't keep the rotor from coming off with some muscle. Don't think you broke anything pounding on it, but the stock rotor might be bent depending on how much force you used. I'd just pull and replace the rotors like you intended.
    u mean even if the e brake WAS on it should still have come out?
    damn...i tried really hard and it just moved slightly

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Just take a look around, should be fine, although you should see the washers on the front side of the rotor, over the studs.
    keep in mind since you didnt turn your rotors your pads will break in to your current rotors so when you replace them you may have vibration's and sounds that are just annoying.
    J
    well im gonna try to replace the rotors tomorrow so that shouldnt have an affect on the pads since i did those today...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by adham View Post
    damn i had the emergency brake up the entire time!!
    and what is the "star" washer thing?
    I wish I could say I've never done this.
    I've beat the piss out of rotors before trying to get them off then finally remembering the e-brake......after a long time of beating on them. If you beat on them long enough with a big enough hammer they will come off even with the e-brake on but it's not an easy task.
    As for the star washers. Just look at the studs. It'll look like a washer pushed onto one of the studs. Someone may have left them off if they've been done before. I always put mine back on even though I hate taking the things off.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

IMHO the 'star washers' only serve a purpose while the vehicle is going down the assembly line. After that they are virtually worthless. If you like the idea of them being there fine- I bust them taking them off with a pair of dikes and never look back. I've done countless brake jobs this way-seen countless more done by others- and have never seen it cause a problem, or even heard it suggested by any written manual that they need to be put back on.
    Look closely at your e-brake shoe for damage to the linings when you get the rotor off. Minor damage won't be a problem, it's the big cracks that could cause problems later. I doubt you hurt anything though. In time you will learn the difference between 'loose on the hub' and 'something else hanging it up', and where the park brake is on different cars.

pewter
    2000 t/a

sometimes cornering the rotor will contact the caliper mounting bracket through rotor flex and axle endplay. don't worry it was normal to have to clearance this area just a few thousandths with a grinder on a few models. you will see a shinny spot on the bracket where its rubbing.
    the new pads could also be rubbing on a rust ring along the surface of the used rotor face.

make sure you use some loc-tite on the caliper and bracket bolts, they can and do loosen from the heat cycling.

as for the e-brake, pounding/prying on the rotor with the e-brake on will bend/break (there were a couple different style clips used) the tab holding the e-shoe on. after you reinstall the brakes the shoe will drop down and drag on the e-brake drum inside the rotor (called drum in hat style rotor) quite possibly creating your noise. the tab/clip is spring steel and when bent back it will return to it's previously bentout shape and return to dragging shortly. you can buy just the clips from the dealer for like 4 bucks or so for both sides. providing your shoes are in good shape . the clips do come with new shoes also. the tab can even be bent/break taking the rotor off with a good rust ring built up on the drums edge without the brake on.

i don't know if your using your e-brake often, but the surface of the drum does rust up very quickly. the e-brake drum surface is non-servicable meaning you can not resurface it like the pad surface, due to the expansion limits of the e-shoe. it's good practice to drag the e-brake slightly half a block once a month to help keep the drum surface rust free. even on manual cars that just get applied and released without being moved much.

this e-brake system is very weak to start with, so having it function properly if it's ever needed is paramount. i can't count how many shoes i've changed from people driving with the e-brake applied. it doesn't take very long for the shoes material to wear off with a rusty drum eatting away at it.

NEVER EVER compromise or go cheap on the safty systems, which are the braking, suspenion, steering systems and tires!!!!!!

sorry for the preaching and long post but, 20+ years working at gm dealers. you would not believe the "crap" people are driving 80mph down the highway right next to you. really it's frightening!!!

lightingrod

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

thanks for everyones help....
    ill tell u how things go later on today

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

alright fellas i just finished installing everything
    lol it was much easier to get the rotors off without the damn e-brake!
    like lightingrod said, i looked at the pads and they had a rust ring imprinted on them because of the old rotors
    maybe thats where the hissing was coming from
    i will test drive the car later and see if the noise is still there
    again thanks for everyone's help....it was very useful

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

no more hissing noise....everything seems just fine!

pewter
    2000 t/a

glad it was an easy fix.....this time ha ha!

Thread Information