Thread: for real?

triple black
    02 z28 m6

for real?

cheap trick to promote sales of their product? or has anyone heard of this being true? got this from vincihiperformance.com when i was searching for a vendor for a new crane cam

WARNING!

LSX SERIES ENGINE CAM RETAINER PLATE WEAR PROBLEM

We have noticed a considerable wear pattern on the front of the camshaft retainer plate, on the all of LSX series engines, including LS1, LS6, LQ4 etc trucks and on the new LS2 engines, as well. We believe this is due to improper oiling, between the plate and the timing gear. (see picture 1). This wear occurs with stock cams and after market cams as well, as it is a manufacturing defect not an aftermarket products defect. We have observed this wear on all of the LSX series engines with as little as 500 miles on them. VHP is bringing this information to our readers attention in hopes of preventing a serious engine failure. We have seen a material build up on magnetic oil pan drain plugs which, in some part, is due to the cam plate wear. We highly recommend using the Crane hex-adjust timing set on all cam installs, part number 144984-1. The bearing at the rear of the cam gear prevents most incidence of wear from re-occurring . (see picture 2). Here at VHP we have been notching the retainer plates for better oiling, to minimize this problem. (See picture 3). Upon tear down of test engines notching the plate and utilizing the Crane timing set has alleviated the problem.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

It could be to boost sales. They probably have seen some sort of issue but I can't say its really a big deal.

If this was a real large issue I think you finding this random thing about it would not be so random.

Just my .02 though.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

triple black
    02 z28 m6

makes sense to boost sales. at least its not turbonator

NBM
    1998Z28

Thats why I run a double roller/adjustable Crane timing set. I believe I bought it from Joe at VHP.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

Black
    2002 Camaro SS M6

i agree with Gnomee, it cant really be that big of a problem... i mean if it was, you'd think there would be guys all over LSx forums everywhere, and everyone would be complaining about it. i have never heard of this, and have rebuilt a few LS1 engines myself.

Thread Information