Thread: Re-Power a C4

Admiral Blue
    1995 Corvette Coupe

Re-Power a C4

I am interested in updating my 1995 LT1 coupe. It runs great and has excellent power. Many people tell me to leave it alone. But, I am a child of the '60s, so horsepower is like drugs. I am looking for suggestions on rebuilding the LT1 vs. installing a crate engine. Regarding the crate engines, will an LS1, LS2 or LS6 motor fit without major modifications? Any drive train modifications? Will all belts and accessory units [A/C, PS, etc.] attach without problems? Will the headers/exhaust system need to be modified. Crate engines are not cheap, so could the same kind of horsepower be built into the LT1 for about the same expense. And, if I go with the rebuild, who knows a good, dependable speed shop in the Westchester County New York (just outside of New York City) area? Fairfield County in Connecticut would not be bad either.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Admiral View Post
    I am interested in updating my 1995 LT1 coupe. It runs great and has excellent power. Many people tell me to leave it alone. But, I am a child of the '60s, so horsepower is like drugs. I am looking for suggestions on rebuilding the LT1 vs. installing a crate engine. Regarding the crate engines, will an LS1, LS2 or LS6 motor fit without major modifications? Any drive train modifications? Will all belts and accessory units [A/C, PS, etc.] attach without problems? Will the headers/exhaust system need to be modified. Crate engines are not cheap, so could the same kind of horsepower be built into the LT1 for about the same expense. And, if I go with the rebuild, who knows a good, dependable speed shop in the Westchester County New York (just outside of New York City) area? Fairfield County in Connecticut would not be bad either.
    Good...another old fart for me to talk too. You can build a really nice torque monster with a 383 LT1 Stroker motor.....buy the kit and have the machining done locally...or you can source the motor ready to go.... http://www.golenengineservice.com/html/lt1_lt4.html
    As everyone on this board knows I like to blow up engines and put in new ones And of course you can go LSX series motors....wiring harness will have to be done... www.nelsonperformance.com or painless wiring can do that and ship it for you.....me...I would go the LT1 Stroker route....as all the modifications required to go LSX would be significant but doable....and you would be very happy with the LT1 Stroker 383 without all the other headaches associated with a LSX change out for sure....Maybe one of our New York members can help out with shop recommendations...
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Check out corvetteforums.com as there are many difficulties in installing a LSx motor in the C4...especially if you are trying to use the T56.
    I own a 1990 Vette 'vert with a mild L98-based 383 and enjoyed while it was running right. Lately I've had some ingnition issues... Ironically, I stayed away from the LT1 because of the Opti.
    My vote is to do some well-thought-out mods to your existing engine. LT1s can make some some good power...

Thread Information