Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random ?s

Impounded

Random ?s

Alrighty. Here we go.

1. Pros/cons of going 17x9.5s front and 18x10.5s in back on a DD.
    2. What is that line/wire next to the AIR tube on the far driverside of the engone bay?
    3. How can i plug the open holes left by the wire hide and control module relocation?
    4. Do i need a tune for a ported TB or can i wait until i get more mods?
    5. Would it be beneficial to upgrade my injectors from 26# to 28# with half as many miles?
    6. Can i use my ERG blockoff plates off my ls1 intake on my ls6 intake?
    7. Can i use the coolant lines for a ls6 intake on my ls1 intake
    8. I may need a new oil pump (if the spun bearing messed it up). Should i go LS6 oil pump? Or maybe even the ported LS6 oil pump?

Lol sorry lots of questions thanks tho
    Last edited by BashamWS6; 05-17-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

1. Cons - you cannot rotate your tires, depending on the offset and width. 18's are a lot more expensive and the options are less.

2. Pic?

4. No you do not. However, depending on where you get your TB, you may need to adjust the screw for throttle/idle. Been seeing this in threads lately.

5. IMO - no.

8. LS6 oil pump only if you plan on a cam swap IMO.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

#1: Pros - Looks if you like the staggered look. Cons - Like said, cant rotate

#2: Pic

#3: Some kind of caps maybe, your car is black so it won't be as noticeable if you used those black snap in push plugs

#4: Nope

#5: I wouldn't bother

#6: unless you have an SLP ls6 intake with egr provisions you shouldn't need the blockoff. LS6 intakes had no EGR provisions.

#7: Did you mean to say that the other way around?
    You can use the LS1 coolant lines for your LS6 intake you just have to take a grinder and grind some of the fins off the bottom of the intake to allow clearance

#8: The ported LS6 would be nice if you're going with a bigger cam
    If the stocker puts out good oil pressure i wouldn't worry too much

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    1. Cons - you cannot rotate your tires, depending on the offset and width. 18's are a lot more expensive and the options are less.

2. Pic?

4. No you do not. However, depending on where you get your TB, you may need to adjust the screw for throttle/idle. Been seeing this in threads lately.

5. IMO - no.

8. LS6 oil pump only if you plan on a cam swap IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    #1: Pros - Looks if you like the staggered look. Cons - Like said, cant rotate

#2: Pic

#3: Some kind of caps maybe, your car is black so it won't be as noticeable if you used those black snap in push plugs

#4: Nope

#5: I wouldn't bother

#6: unless you have an SLP ls6 intake with egr provisions you shouldn't need the blockoff. LS6 intakes had no EGR provisions.

#7: Did you mean to say that the other way around?
    You can use the LS1 coolant lines for your LS6 intake you just have to take a grinder and grind some of the fins off the bottom of the intake to allow clearance

#8: The ported LS6 would be nice if you're going with a bigger cam
    If the stocker puts out good oil pressure i wouldn't worry too much
    1. other than tire price and lack of rotation...what are other cons? would the ride be rougher? would it eat up much HP?
    2. ill get pics.
    3. yeah i cant remember where i seen that thread and it gives the p# and site i think its pajeff02's ill check
    4. its a stock ported tb
    7. i already order coolant lines. i was just wondering if i should go ahead and put them on since i have to take the Intake off anyways. then i would alread have it on for when i get the ls6 intake. would it even fit with the ls1? i wouldnt see why not
    8. i may need a new pump. it wasnt even showing pressure when my clutch was held in. made the check guages turn on too.
    Last edited by BashamWS6; 05-18-2011 at 05:57 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    1. other than tire price and lack of rotation...what are other cons? would the ride be rougher? would it eat up much HP?
    18" rim = more mass = more power to turn

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    Everything 35th said, plus the weight of the metal used ( I was under the impression cheaper replicas are heavy, but could be wrong) and your at higher risk of bending a rim on pot holes/RR tracks due to a smaller tire wall.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Only things I would add to above are:

Stock P&P TB needs no tune.

Coolant Lines - installing the LS6 style will not hurt you. When you get the intake off you will see that. The difference in design are due to the LS6 Intake sits deeper in the valley. GM blocked off the back 2 ports and just made a cross over in the front. Some have taken the crossover and plugged weld the outlet portion and installed it on the back ports to let the coolant flow in the back as well. Either way will not hurt the block.

Oil Pump - Get the LS6 oil pump, ported flows better but if faced with extra cost vs need, get the non-ported. Another thing if you are not doing this while doing a Cam swap at lease do a LS2 timing chain. You have to remove the stock one to get the oil pump out so why not replace it with new/better and not have to go back later.

26lb injectors vs 28 lbs - I look at it this way - GM had a reason for going back to the higher injector. 26lbs may too lean if you start spraying/CAM/Heads in future builds. I think you will need a tune if you replace them. Frost can tell you for sure. If you had them on hand at minimal cost to you then I would look at replacing, but to just go out and spend $500 on new injectors I would think about it first if it didn't necessary require them. Depending on your build plans you may just skip the 28 and have to go higher.

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Only things I would add to above are:

Stock P&P TB needs no tune.

Coolant Lines - installing the LS6 style will not hurt you. When you get the intake off you will see that. The difference in design are due to the LS6 Intake sits deeper in the valley. GM blocked off the back 2 ports and just made a cross over in the front. Some have taken the crossover and plugged weld the outlet portion and installed it on the back ports to let the coolant flow in the back as well. Either way will not hurt the block.

Oil Pump - Get the LS6 oil pump, ported flows better but if faced with extra cost vs need, get the non-ported. Another thing if you are not doing this while doing a Cam swap at lease do a LS2 timing chain. You have to remove the stock one to get the oil pump out so why not replace it with new/better and not have to go back later.

26lb injectors vs 28 lbs - I look at it this way - GM had a reason for going back to the higher injector. 26lbs may too lean if you start spraying/CAM/Heads in future builds. I think you will need a tune if you replace them. Frost can tell you for sure. If you had them on hand at minimal cost to you then I would look at replacing, but to just go out and spend $500 on new injectors I would think about it first if it didn't necessary require them. Depending on your build plans you may just skip the 28 and have to go higher.
    i heard timing chains were a waste of time tho?

and i have them already and didnt spend money to get them. im trying to procrastinate on the tune.
    yes i have a few bolton going on this weekend. but i want to wait until i get my intake before i tune it. so how hard would it be to put the ls6 intake and injectors and coolant lines on myself?
    i then figured i could send my PCM off to Frost for ONE tune...rather than paying for tune

Navy Blue Metallic

It can be done within a hr and 1/2. I would also do the LS6 VCT mod and update your knock sensors if you are going to go that far so that you have it all done at once.

Who ever told you that upgrading to a LS2 timing chain is a waste was wrong.

If you have 'em wait till you send off for the tune to Frost before installing them. Make sure you tell him that you have upgraded to the 28lb injectors so that he can install the right tables.

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    It can be done within a hr and 1/2. I would also do the LS6 VCT mod and update your knock sensors if you are going to go that far so that you have it all done at once.

Who ever told you that upgrading to a LS2 timing chain is a waste was wrong.

If you have 'em wait till you send off for the tune to Frost before installing them. Make sure you tell him that you have upgraded to the 28lb injectors so that he can install the right tables.
    ???

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Impounded
    well i feel stupid. i read that sticky last week.
    so i this might be my end of the summer list along with hardend pushrods.
    my engine warranty doesnt include much of anything (after reading the paper work its pretty jank) so i might do this too. however dont you have to cut the block a little for the ls6 style?

Navy Blue Metallic

Yes but it is a small notch. I used a Dremel. as long as you follow the directions and make sure you cover everything with rags you will be fine.

Impounded
    well would you also need a tune for that?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

No you do not.

Impounded
    well i think i just added to my late summer mods. another question for future reference...what size injectors will i need for D1sc

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

So, what IS that little hose next to the A I R tube? Im curious now, and I have the same. For now. It comes out with the A I R system, right?

Impounded
    i dont think so. it runs to the firewall.
    im trying to upload on photobucket but it keeps saying error... 5th times a charm i guess

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    So, what IS that little hose next to the A I R tube? Im curious now, and I have the same. For now. It comes out with the A I R system, right?
    you mean the hood latch cable?

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Thats prob it. Any way to hide it? Good thing you stopped me. I had my sawzall all warmed up. JK

Thread Information