Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ramps

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

Ramps

I went to the autozone by my house to pick up some ramps to lift my car. When I got in line an employee asked me wat I was using them for and I said to drive up on and put Jack stands on the rear to get the car in the air. He said I was crazy and shouldn't evn try that or the car would end up on top of me. I feel like I've heard plenty of stories of guys doin this. Any input?

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

i was wonderin the same thing the other day....i have seen ramps that collapsed but not completely...but that was due to driving up on them and hitting the brakes too hard and they collapse forward...

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I do that with my front tires on an incline. Just make sure to block the wheels. You must've said something that made him think you were clueless or more likely he was just an autozone dummy.

I always drive up, block wheels, jack car, place jackstands and then move the rhino's under the car somewhere just as an emergency measure.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Well the front tires aren't locked by the transmission or the parking brake so becareful that the car doesn't roll off the ramp when you start lifting the rear end. One thing you could do is jamb a long extension or pry bar between the seat and the brake pedal to hold the brakes while you jack the car up and down. Jamb it in the really tight.

white
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Well the front tires aren't locked by the transmission or the parking brake so becareful that the car doesn't roll off the ramp when you start lifting the rear end. One thing you could do is jamb a long extension or pry bar between the seat and the brake pedal to hold the brakes while you jack the car up and down. Jamb it in the really tight.
    Use only jack stands please. There are people that use ramps with no problems, but the front wwheels dont lock. I made, out of some 5/8 wood sheets, some pads to lift each wheel independently so my jack would fit under the nose of the car. I cut 3 squares, 8inch by 10inch and screwd them togather, lifted each wheel, and sat the car on those pads. Now, my TransAm is on 4 jackstands safely.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

I've never thought of this before haha. I'll have to remember this next time, because I've done the ramp/jack stand combo numerous times...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I don't really trust ramps myself though I've have used them. Something just bugs me about them. I use four 6-ton stands instead on a concrete floor. Yeah they're heavy and quite large but I know if i place them in the proper fasion the car will not fall. The heavier the better imho. One thing I'd have to say also too, is to keep in mind that a car is very heavy (I know sounds dumb) if it falls it's comming down right NOW. It won't fall slowly and you could just as easily be dead in that same amount of time.. Just be carefull guys..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

I used ramps for my header install on the fronts. I ran into no problems

BUT I don't trust ramps either so I used them as a safety net.

Our car are too low to drive up ramps so if you decide to use them you have to jack up the car high enough to slide them under the tires

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I was going to ask how you get the front wheels on ramps? I have not found a pair of ramps that our cars can clear.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Are they long as hell? either that or they must be shorter in height?

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

Looks like jacks stands is the way to go. So were would I put the stands to have the suspension loaded?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

I have ramps that I can drive up on without any issues. I bought them at Autozone probably in 2003. Made of plastic with a very long approach. I thought they were made by Rhino.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I was going to ask how you get the front wheels on ramps? I have not found a pair of ramps that our cars can clear.
    I have a set of Rhino ramps that I can drive up on. My car is lowered with BMR springs. It's the only way I can jack my car up honestly.

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

One thing I did notice about BlackBird0230's ramps tho, is that they are metal and actually look like they have a spot where the wheel falls into once it's at the top. I honestly think that makes it much safer than the Autozone black plastic ramps that pewterz55 is talking about. I have a pair of these and it sucks, cause once you get to the top, there's not much blocking the wheels from having the car roll back down the ramps back onto you =(

red
    99 camaro

I used rhino ramps to put headers on and change oil. I have also used them to change the oil in my 05 cc f-250 that weighs 8500lb with no problems so it will suffice for my 3500lb car too. the rhinos have a groove at the edge to keep your car from rolling off them also.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Quote Originally Posted by SajoR View Post
    One thing I did notice about BlackBird0230's ramps tho, is that they are metal and actually look like they have a spot where the wheel falls into once it's at the top. I honestly think that makes it much safer than the Autozone black plastic ramps that pewterz55 is talking about. I have a pair of these and it sucks, cause once you get to the top, there's not much blocking the wheels from having the car roll back down the ramps back onto you =(
    yea the ones I got are metal and they do have a groove for the tires. Only problem is the tires are wider than the ramps, No biggie still worked for me.
    5$ ramps at a garage sale.

Bright Red
    2001 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    I have ramps that I can drive up on without any issues. I bought them at Autozone probably in 2003. Made of plastic with a very long approach. I thought they were made by Rhino.
    Unless these ramps are damaged in some way, I don't see how they would collapse under any normal sized car made today. Big huge trucks/suvs might be a different story.

I've got to get me a new set, I have a yellow set similar to those blue ones and these C6 tires (rear especially) will not fit in the grooves. Those Rhino ones will be my choice either these or these.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Ive used this idea many times to check brake lights many times when I worked at Cat. If using ramps, its a great idea. Never thought of it as I don't own any ramps. Jack stands and a nice long, low profile jack is IMO easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by pewterz55 View Post
    Looks like jacks stands is the way to go. So were would I put the stands to have the suspension loaded?
    Jack the front up and place jack stands under the K member. Jack rear end of car up from the differential.Then rig something up to rest your back tires on. I used two large wooden header beams we had laying around from a house remodel. Worked great. Either way, just have to set those rear tires down on something stable to load the rear suspension. Installing SFC's or setting pinion angle I assume?

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

Yep sfc's

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Quote Originally Posted by SajoR View Post
    I have a pair of these and it sucks, cause once you get to the top, there's not much blocking the wheels from having the car roll back down the ramps back onto you =(
    umm thats why you block the rear tires

Thread Information