blue
    2000 Z28

Radio and power windows stop working at same time

I'm a new member, just discovered ls.com and it is very informative.
    Having 2 strange electrical problems on my Z28 and hoping someone has seen it before or can provide insight on how to diagnose and fix.
    Its a 2000 Z28 with automatic trans, got it in 05 with 50K and think I'm the 2nd owner. No mods that I'm aware of. Car now has 170K and still runs strong.
    It’s my daily driver so cannot tear it apart.

Problem #1
    Radio and power windows stop working at same time.
    If 1 works then the other works, but if 1 is out then they are both out.
    This problem comes and goes. It will work fine 1 day and then nothing the next, then work again. Sometimes if you smack the dash on drivers side right next to radio it will start working again, but hit a bump in the road and its dead again.
    Has to be some loose connection, but what’s common between the radio and the power windows?

Problem #2
    I’m guessing this is a separate issue, since it does not occur at same time as problem #1
    Three Lights appear on dash , ASR off, ABS inop, and Brake light
    ASR is dead cannot do anything with it, the ABS stops working, but brakes still work.
    This problem comes and goes at random times. Shut car off and restart it goes away for a day or 2 and then comes back, then gone again.
    Tried disconnecting battery to clear and it does not seem to help.

All fuses checked and ok.
    Anyone ever seen either of these weird behaviors on their camaro before?
    any help would be appreciated.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Wow, nice question for a first timer. I think you have a bad connection with the radio but the PW is another story. I do not think they have a common connection. Problem #2 is all related parts. Everything works together. It seems to be in the brake module. I would have the unit scoped before you change it out Good luck.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like the Body Control Module (BCM) may be having issues. There are soldered connections inside the BCM that crack and have to be re-soldered. It is a rather simple fix and if you rule out everything else, that is the next thing to check. As for the brakes and ASR - it is probable that you have a wheel speed sensor on the fritz. Most chain parts stores will scan you car for brake codes and that should pinpoint the issue for you.

BTW -- welcome to the site!

blue
    2000 Z28

I'm new to the list but have had several Z28's though the years 79, 80, 83, 97, 00, 02.
    Currently have a 00 Z28 and the wife's 02 Z28.
    Thanks for the BCM info, it's now next on my list. No windows or radio is not fun. Especially if you get them down and can't roll em up again. As far as the ABS sensors go, whats the best way to get those codes? I have an Actron CP9180 ODBII scanner, but thought those were just for working with "service engine" emissions type codes? Will it get ABS codes?
    The local auto parts store seems to have a more generic scanner than I do.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You need a special brake code scanner -- most of the OBDII scanners do not read brake or ABS codes.

blue
    2000 Z28

Got to the BCM today, behind glove box, just tapping on it made the radio go off/on. Took it out and discovered 1 of the larger solder connections did have a small hairline crack in it. Re-soldered with just a dab of new solder and it works like a champ.
    Problem #1 fixed. Thanks Jeff (nice to have radio and windows again)
    As for problem #2
    Called around to the local auto parts stores and all told me that they don't have a reader for ABS codes. Which did not sound correct so I took a trip to the closest one (Advanced).
    Once there I used their Actron 9580 scanner, and it does in fact read ABS codes.
    I have 3 codes B0550 (control unit malfunction) B0896 (voltage problem) and U1016 (lost communication with PCM)
    I hoping the U1016 was because I had the battery disconnected today for the BCM fixes.
    Anyone ever seen these ABS codes and have fixes for them?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I would take a look at the harness connections and wiring. Check for damage, something loose or corrosion. However, it could be that it simply needs a new brake brain. I have an '02 service manual with schematics if you need diagnostic or wiring info.

blue
    2000 Z28

Daily driver, so there is corrosion in the engine bay.
    Since problem is intermittent I'm hoping for that instead of new brake controller.
    Dumb question, where's that controller located? So I can inspect that and the wires leading to and from?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The car has an Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) that is powered by two wires that carry battery voltage and a third wire that is keyed ignition voltage. It also has one or two grounds, looks like Pontiacs came with two for some reason, so yours may only have one. The EBCM is located on the left front framerail where all the brake lines come together -- it's essentially a big aluminum block with the brains at the bottom.

blue
    2000 Z28

I was afraid you were going to say that. Visually mine looks like it has seen better days. Thanks again

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    The car has an Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) that is powered by two wires that carry battery voltage and a third wire that is keyed ignition voltage. It also has one or two grounds, looks like Pontiacs came with two for some reason, so yours may only have one. The EBCM is located on the left front framerail where all the brake lines come together -- it's essentially a big aluminum block with the brains at the bottom.
    I had exactly the same issue with all three lights coming on. I had to get a new EBCM put in, not cheap, but it fixed the problem and I got my traction control and ABS back. Helpful for driving in the rain.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sc5309 View Post
    I'm a new member, just discovered ls.com and it is very informative.
    Having 2 strange electrical problems on my Z28 and hoping someone has seen it before or can provide insight on how to diagnose and fix.
    Its a 2000 Z28 with automatic trans, got it in 05 with 50K and think I'm the 2nd owner. No mods that I'm aware of. Car now has 170K and still runs strong.
    It’s my daily driver so cannot tear it apart.

Problem #1
    Radio and power windows stop working at same time.
    If 1 works then the other works, but if 1 is out then they are both out.
    This problem comes and goes. It will work fine 1 day and then nothing the next, then work again. Sometimes if you smack the dash on drivers side right next to radio it will start working again, but hit a bump in the road and its dead again.
    Has to be some loose connection, but what’s common between the radio and the power windows?

Problem #2
    I’m guessing this is a separate issue, since it does not occur at same time as problem #1
    Three Lights appear on dash , ASR off, ABS inop, and Brake light
    ASR is dead cannot do anything with it, the ABS stops working, but brakes still work.
    This problem comes and goes at random times. Shut car off and restart it goes away for a day or 2 and then comes back, then gone again.
    Tried disconnecting battery to clear and it does not seem to help.

All fuses checked and ok.
    Anyone ever seen either of these weird behaviors on their camaro before?
    any help would be appreciated.

I just finished fixing problem #1. It was a bad solder joint on the BCM under the glove box. You can clearly see it (Pics Below!), just resolder it and it should work like a charm!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f24nyhw50c...817_192145.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwt2znakm6...817_191336.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dddnxns89d...817_190612.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rbzt9ndtyv...817_190832.jpg
    Last edited by scStormChaser; 08-17-2014 at 03:44 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Nice work.

Thread Information