Thread: radiator fans

Arctic White
    1999 Z28 M6

Question radiator fans

i have no idea why, but my radiator fans are not turning on, niether one of them. i have checked the fuses and made sure the wires are plugged in and its all fine. does anyone kno what else i need to check to see whats up or have reasoning behind why they arent turning on? anybody else who has had this problem info would be extremely appriciated.
    1999 Z28, SLP Flow Pack, SLP 85mm MAF, AIR Temp Modual, Taylor 8.5 wires, NGK55 plugs, FRA! Skip Shift Elemenated, Lou's Short Stick, SLP Subrame Connectors, KYB AGX's, EGR Removed, MagnaFlow Catback, 3" cut out. STOCK DYNO ... 308 RWHP 319 RWTQ

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Are you overheating, or running hot?

Arctic White
    1999 Z28 M6

no im running normal right below 210...... is there no one else out there that has any info?

Don't have the answer - but have you checked to see if low speed comes on/high speed cycles on with the A/C on? In addition to two COOL FAN fuses my car has three fan relays - maybe check for power to the fan connectors? No SES light?

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by FastAssZ
    no im running normal right below 210...... is there no one else out there that has any info?
    So you're running normal temps, yet you believe the fans aren't coming on?
    That just doesn't make sense, unless you are overheating or running hot while at idle or in traffic.

Arctic White
    1999 Z28 M6

i kno they arent comming on because one, i can normally hear them when they come on and two after it is all heated up from driving i can pull over n open the hood n see both the fans just sitting there not spinning. i even parked it in the driveway and let it run and watched for the fans and they never ever came on.

greasy-chicken

Lightbulb

My fans never come on unless im using the A/C. And i live in Arizona with 110 degree temps outside. I don't think the PCM turns on the fans until the motor goes over 210 or 220. I put a manual fan switch on my LS1 so i can turn my fans on anytime.

the slow and the curious

Re: radiator fans

You need to burp your cooling system. You should find a bleeder valve somewhere, probably on a smaller hose that is a part of your heater or cooling system. Or maybe on the water neck. Ill look tomorrow on mine and see if I can find it. The hose may actually look like an air contitioning hose.The bleeder valve should be inline somewhere at the highest point of the hose. Or for some other reason your sensor is not in the cooling water/antifreeze. The radiators in these cars sit lower than the highest point of the cooling system. This causes a bubble if any work is done on the system the bubble just needs to be bled out after the system is re filled Try to find that air bleeder. It should be a funky brass thing with a slotted screw to loosen. I would let her get hot, turn it off, then try to bleed it, then there should be pressure to get the air out then top off the radiator,Or maybe you need a new thermostat Maybe it is stuck closed and not lettin water to the sensor just a guess. Hope this helps, I had the EXACT problem with my LT1 after weeks and weeks and weeks and a trip to the dealer my in law, who is a dodge mechanic, told me to bleed the air from the system, It WORKED!! (Still dont know why the chevy dealers mechanic couldent figure it out) anyway, good luck I know how aggravating this is.

slow.
    Last edited by the slow and the curious; 08-13-2005 at 11:33 PM. Reason: better info

Arctic White
    1999 Z28 M6

hey thanks a lot guys im gonna try that today and see what i can or cannot find, and if the bleeder doesnt work then im gonna check my thermo and if thats fine then im gonan guy a manual fan switch and make it go on when i want it to hahaha

reed98

if u want to make such that the fans even work unplug one or both of them, take a jump box or a good battery and run two wires one from the - side of the jump box or battery to one wire in the fan plug, and the + to the other that should turn the fan, if the fan comes on u need to find a wiring diagram of the fan wires and start checking other places

the slow and the curious

I wouldent do that. Just fix the problem, remember, your engine is water cooled not air cooled. You could drastically shorten you water pump life, As I did with my LT1, and if your engine is not cooling properly other things go. Im gonna go look myself for that bleeder.

Ok my bad, I cant find it. Well these motors are different than the LT1. I bet the sensor that turns the fans on and off is different than the sensor that runs your temp gauge. Bad sensor maybe?? Has any engine work been done on the car lately or at all for that matter. If the water pump is bad, the sensor may get enough hot water to switch. Thats about all I got to say on this one good luck
    Last edited by the slow and the curious; 08-14-2005 at 09:32 AM. Reason: bad grammar

Thread Information