artic white/black stripes
    97 TA

Unhappy Radiator fan refuses to turn no one can find the solution

To preface my car was towed two days ago and when I went to pick it up my battery was mysteriously dead. Apparently my radiator fan just randomly decided to not turn off even after I turn my car it just keeps going. Had no idea why this would start up or what would cause the issue so brought it into a shop yesterday to have it checked...they still have no idea what the problem is.

After the first few hours they said it was a computer issue with it not telling the fan to shut off so they unhooked the computer to double check the issue but even after the computer was disconnected the fan kept running. So now they say it is short somewhere in the wiring but they have no clue where and have been working on this for over a day now.

Mainly my question is do you guys have any ideas where/why/if it would be a short that is happening? I need my car to make money and this is all unfortunately taking a lot longer than I originally expected when I took her in. I have been trying to bounce ideas off their heads but have run out of them.

I have personally not had any electrical work done on the car recently other than putting in a radio deck months ago. This just started and wasn't an issue until now. I'm pretty sure there was an amp or something previously installed in her as I know there are wires under the passenger seat.

Edit: This is for my 99 trans am not the 97

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

It's possible for there to be a short. And they are a pain to trace. Whether the shop is milking the job or not, only they know.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

If you need the car maybe you could get the fans hooked to it own switch to run manual(you would have to keep a close eye on the temp) until you look more in to it or have time for them to trace like knight said problems like this could take forever

98 Formula
    06 duramax

stuck relay? I'm sure the shop would've checked that I would think.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Agree. Stuck fan relay or a bad temp switch maybe.

artic white/black stripes
    97 TA

The shop is good honest people definitely weren't trying to milk the job or anything suspicious was mostly just trying to get more ideas to bounce of their heads. Relay was the first issue they had thought of but after replacing them turned out they were fine.

We did though finally discover the problem today apparently their was a harness wired to my ashtray that apparently had fan control switches on it(which is a bit funny since my original hypothesis was there must be some type of switch somewhere but couldn't find a damn one). It was wired in a way that simply pushing in the coin slot on the ashtray could in fact send the fan into an always on high position. It was wired in really well and professionally but we were both stumped as to why/what purpose someone would have had in wiring that in there. So put the switch back to its proper position and removed the harness so the problem wouldn't arise again and everything appears to be back in perfect condition now.

Thanks for the input though guys just wish I could have found the switch myself when I was originally looking for it but I can also honestly say never would have thought to push in the coin slots on my ashtray. The shop gave me a bit of a "discount" since the shop manager found the issue to be pretty interesting and prides himself on electrical work so I guess that works.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Could be the car had a former track life and the fan switch was there to help keep things cool between passes.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I agree with Jeff. Previous owner probably forgot to tell you that when they sold you the car.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Could be the car had a former track life and the fan switch was there to help keep things cool between passes.
    Fo sho. Sounds like it wasn't an afterthought. Professionally wired , even.

Thread Information