Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Rack and pinion leak... seal kit or replace?

Ok I noticed that my power steering has been leaking from the rack and pinion. It has only been noticable for the last couple of weeks. There is power steering fluid on the bottom area. There is no difference or noise when I drive and the leak is not too bad. Will a seal kit, I assume a gasket or O-Ring of some sort, fix the problem. Or is this something that I would be better off replacing the whole rack and pinion. The R&P sells for roughly 200 and the seal kit is only 21. Thanks guys

green
    98 formula

That would just depend on how much extra money you have. I have heard horror stories about air in the steering, may be wise to get it done.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Well I have put money into the car recently. I would like to do the repair myself because it doesnt seem to be too hard. I guess my question is if there is a way to check if it is just a seal leaking. Is this something common in the LS1 TAs. I just dont want to take everything apart replace the seal then the problem be something else and I would have to do everything all over again. So I would rather put in a new Rack and Pinion if the seal is not a good possibility. Thanks

Awaiting Activation

red
    2000transam

Mine started a very slow leak on the driverside at the inner tierod boot with around 20,000 miles .It never gave me a problem but i found a used oem one on ebay and replace it at 32,000 and works great ,so i would have to say it's pretty much a common problem .If you decide to do it yourself, there one bolt on the driverside that will not come out without lifting the motor up or cutting the head off of the bolt and replace one upside down thats what i did.
    Last edited by ou812; 02-07-2009 at 07:48 PM. Reason: more info

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by JehalinTA View Post
    Well I have put money into the car recently. I would like to do the repair myself because it doesnt seem to be too hard. I guess my question is if there is a way to check if it is just a seal leaking. Is this something common in the LS1 TAs. I just dont want to take everything apart replace the seal then the problem be something else and I would have to do everything all over again. So I would rather put in a new Rack and Pinion if the seal is not a good possibility. Thanks
    I dont know if its common, but it sounds like replacing the rack is the thing to do. Be sure to get it allingned though.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Mine leaked from the pump cap...I put some weak silicone on the threads and put the cap back on...no more leaking

Thread Information