Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Racetronix pump priming?

I just put my racetronix pump and the wiring harness in my 98 TA. I followed the instructions to the "T". The car takes a little more crank to start. I read that the walbro pump doesn't have a check valve and that's the reason for that. I also read that if let the pump prime the car should crank right away.

Well mine takes like 4-5 sec of cranking after I hear the pump stop priming. I also noticed that if I start from a cold start the car's idle is kinda jumpy and erractic until I drive the car for a bit. The car drives normal and the idle is fine after the first stop that I make. I haven't put a fuel pressure gauge to check the pressure because i don't have one yet.

Is this normal? I know alot of you guys have racetronix pump. Anyone have been able to put some kinda of check valve on the fuel line? Thanks.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

don't think thats normal
    wanting no get one so will wait for more input

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would guess that you have an issue with the hose on the pump or something like that, maybe a crack or something. 98's don't use the venturi so it would have to be the hose on the pump. I put a racetronix kit in mine and it primes and starts like the stock one did.

I would exhaust all possibilities outside the tank first. Fuel filter or prime it and check pressure at the rail type stuff.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

ok ill get a fuel pressure gauge and change the fuel filter. You mean the clear plastic anti kink hose? I'm almost sure that I put it in tight with the included conector. the other hose that was attached to the stock sock is hold like it was shown in the instructions facing up with the included cable tie.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

i'm sorry it takes more like 2-3 seconds to start.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Not sure of the issue...unless there is a voltage issue to the pump itself with the Racetronix power set-up.

I have been running the Racetronix kit for 5 years now. Never once had a problem with the car starting.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

hmm that another thing that I can try. I'll connect the pump to the stock wiring and see what happens. I'll still check the pressure also. Thanks.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would first check that pressure on the first prime and watch what it does and then go from there. How many miles on the filter? There's also the off chance that you sucked some shit up after working on it and clogged the filter but that'd be a real long shot I believe unless you noticed a ton of stuff in the tank. It's been so long that I honestly don't remember how the sock line is installed but if memory serves me correctly that's a return line and your issue would be with the other hose in there. Maybe it cracked or something? That's a total guess but there should be no delay really from the time it primes to when it fires up.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I see. Well I looked inside the tank with a flashlight and I didn't noticed any crap but who knows. I'll check the pressure 1st. Where do I plug the gauge? at the fuel rail or at the port that comes from the fuel hose( he one with the green cap)? and what is the pressure range? Thanks again guys.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    I see. Well I looked inside the tank with a flashlight and I didn't noticed any crap but who knows. I'll check the pressure 1st. Where do I plug the gauge? at the fuel rail or at the port that comes from the fuel hose( he one with the green cap)? and what is the pressure range? Thanks again guys.
    Schraeder valve on the rail.
    The one with the green cap is just a vent for the tank...shouldn't have much (1PSI or less) pressure.

Running....60-65PSI (if not a touch more)

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Ok i got a fuel gauge this morning. I hook it up at the fuel rail and it shows 60-65 psi running. When the car is off and and I turn the key on I get 60 psi all the way until the pump stops priming. So 60 psi constanly for about 3-5 secs until the pump stops priming. As soon as you don't hear the pump the pressure drops to 0 psi.

I have been kinda of reading so much about priming the pump that I never try starting it right away. >< If I try to start the car as soon as I put the key on it starts right away(makes sense because there is pressure in the system).

Now, I will think that because of no check valve that is normal for the pressure to drop to 0 psi as soon as the pump stops priming. Am I wrong? Question: When I'm cranking the car, is the pump working until I stop holding the key in the start position? My common sense tells me that yes it does. The reason I ask this question is in case that you have like bad plugs or something that will require me to crank the car for more time after pump is primed with the switch on, Will the car start?

Any write up on how to do a check valve and will this solve the pressure drop issue after the pump stops priming? If all this stuff is normal then I don't need the check valve, but that's my guess. Thanks guys.
    I still haven't tried a cold start to check the bad idle with the gauge.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sounds like you have an issue in the tank. I'd say either the regulator or most likely one of those hoses ain't quite right. I'm not sure what check valve you keep referring too but the pressure regulator should maintain the pressure once the pump primes. Try shooting racetonix an email and describing your pressure problem and I'm sure they'll be able to tell you right away what the issue is.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

ok i sent racetronix an email. you mean the regulator in the pump assembly? I remember removing it, putting back in and made sure the plactic clip was secured. I needed room to put my cutter to crimp the fuel tube clamp. Now I wonder if maybe the clip is bad or something. Can I use the fuel line plastic clips that I use on the exterior of the pump for the regulator inside the tank? Will they last summerged under gas?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

This a video of the fuel gauge from the dash. I cycle the prime 3 times. I did this from a cold start the car has been sitting for a while. The 1st one it barely made it to 20 psi. The 2nd and 3rd ones it hit 60 but in all of them you can see the pressure drop. I know that there has to be a leak somewhere...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3gOGJl24Yo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3gOGJl24Yo[/ame]

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

This one is cranking the car.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS_xJjRSE-U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS_xJjRSE-U[/ame]

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, you definitely got an issue in there somewhere. You're probably just going to have to dig in and inspect everything. It almost looks like it's a hose issue by the way it jumps around even when priming. I suppose that could still be the regulator but I'm not sure. I would try to replace the clip with something you KNOW is good submerged...wouldn't want to have to go through this all again down the road. I would think those clips you're talking about would be fine but if at all possible I'd replace it with a known good part. I still don't think that clip is your problem. I wonder if you damaged that regulator when you removed it? I'm still gonna go with a cracked or split hose just because that's more common to happen. I'll have to dig up the number on replacement fuel line in case you have to replace it but there's a specific rubber hose you have to use submerged....regular fuel line won't last submerged. I'll try to dig up the part number. NAPA carries it I know.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks Orion. I'm going to be upset if it is the fuel pump hose. I mean I payed for this kit that supposely make my life easier but it hasn't lol. If I damge the fuel regulator I guess I'm out of luck. Waiting on racetronix to reply. I think I will pull the pump out and see if I noticed something.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

There is a freaking leak in the hose like you said Orion!! Is a pin hole.
    Can I just cut off the bad part retry to use the clamp or can I use one of those regular hose clamps? I need to drive the car tomorrow to work

So even if is a temp fix for a few day until you can give me the part number of the hose.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixDQXmLBiQM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixDQXmLBiQM[/ame]
    Last edited by JayTA98; 04-23-2010 at 10:37 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it needs to meet or exceed SAE 30R10 in order to be submersible. I'm 99.9% that NAPA carries it. I would probably try to find that hose and just replace it versus trying to make your old one work but in a pinch you could probably just leave it like it is and start as soon as it primes. Good luck and at least it was the hose and not the regulator $$$$.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I'll check with NAPA Sunday. I was able to use my pencil solder and melt the hole causing it to seal. Now the pump holds the pressure. I'm not too happy with my whole racetronix experience. 1st the harness ground was not soldered and now this. I hope that they send me a replacement hose. They said that this happens when the hose rubs against the regulator cilp. I'm just wondering why ME! Thanks for the help

Thread Information