Thread: Quick Question

Pewter
    '00 SS

Quick Question

So I took my car in today to have my wheels fixed (very corroded) and get new tires for my drive from LA to Houston. Picked up my car everything was cool. Driving home and I get a call from the owner of the place and he says, "Hey, I didn't get a chance to talk to you before you left but, when we had your car on the lift, we noticed a girding sound coming from the rear passenger side. I think you have a messed up bearing in your axle. If you have jacks at home, put your car up on them and put it in neutral and spin your back tires and you will hear what I mean."

WTF is he talking about??? Please don't think I am doubting that something is wrong. I just seriously have no clue what he could mean. I am taking it in soon to have a check up on everything before I take that drive and would like to have the issues that I know of written down to make sure they check/fix whatever it is. Suggestion???

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

He's referring to the wheel bearings on the rear axle (there are two in the back-one per axle). If they are bad you should be able to hear it as you drive the car. The bearing itself is inexpensive, the process of replacing it isn't too bad from everything I've read. If it is bad, get it replaced before you damage your axle.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Pewter
    '00 SS

Perfect. Thanks.
    Suspension: Lower control arms (Spohn), Drive shaft safety loop, Torque arm (Edlebrock), Strut tower brace, Panhard Bar (BMR)

Under the Hood: Smooth bellows, Lid, Catch can, LT Headers, ORY, AIR/EGR delete, Poly engine/transmission mounts,

Exterior: Painted brake calipers (Red), Halo “Spyder” Headlights w/matching parking/turn signals (Black)

Pewter
    '00 SS

Car is in the shop today getting stuff taken care of before I ship it out of Hawaii. The mechanic is taking it on a road test to see if he can hear a noise caused by the bearings I mentioned above. I was told by the wheel shop that told me about it, that the car was on a lift and when they shake the tire is when they heard the noise.

Now my question is if they only hear the noise shaking the tire and not doing a road test, is it the bearing or could it be something else? I'm sure the guy can figure it out but I just got a call from them about this and wanted to get some more advice from you guys/gals.

Pewter
    '00 SS

So for shits and giggles, does anyone recommend me just trying to replace the bearings myself?? I say shits and giggles cause NO ONE has really responded to this.

Keep in mind the mechanic says he doesnt "think" anythings wrong.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I've just read the thread for the first time....

have you tried to replicate what the tire shop did with the wheel? (put on jack stands and rotate the wheel/push/pull the wheel)

The other shop may not be able to hear the bearings going out while doing a drive test. If they hear it, usually the bearings are completely shot and other damage is happening as wheel.

now if you can't replicate what the tire shop heard, me personally would go back (if you can) and ask them to show you. tell them you've tried and another shop has but can't seem to replicate it. If they are a good shop they'll do it.

If you are able to replicate it and it is a bearing changing the bearing out is not expensive (when doing it yourself).

I not comfortable in listing the steps because it's been tears since I last did one. I'll see if I can dig up a thread or some instructions

Pewter
    '00 SS

Thank you for replying. I have not tried it myself. I will though.

Another part to this is about 2 or 3 months ago I could here almost a rattle from rear passenger wheel when going over bumps. Took the guy from the shop mentioned above for a ride and he heard it as well. Lifted it up then and he was hitting the tired from the bottom with a hammer and could here the noise. He tookthe tire off and found that I had a caliper bolt loose and it seemed like the tire wasnt mounted well either (this is before I got the tires changed). After they tightened all this up I havent heard any noise.

If you or anyone could list/find the steps that would be great. As I already said we are moving back to Texas this summer and as of now I am not working. The wife is finishing up her Navy stuff and Im staying home with our youngest boy (his daycare lady turned out to be crap). Needless to say I have a lot of time to tinker.

Navy Blue Metallic

Do you still have access to the auto shop on the base?

If so they should be able to help you do it.

Pewter
    '00 SS

Yes I do. Thought about that but thats it. What is that particular bearing called, axle bearings?

Navy Blue Metallic

yes. I would used the shop too. I do when I have a need for a lift or special tools that I don't own.

Pewter
    '00 SS

I went with a friend of mine to that shop to install full exhaust system. $3 an hour for the lift. Cant beat it. All tools even the sand blaster is free for use. Big tools you get 2 tags for em and have to turn one in to get another.

With all that said, can you find the "how to" on it? Im sure they know how but wanna make sure.

Pewter
    '00 SS

I found my Chilton book. Its in there. Looks like Im buying more than a bearing. You know what I need to buy?

Navy Blue Metallic

I sent you a link in a pm, reply back with your email and I can send you a pdf of some instructions

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

The easiest way to tell if its bad besides the sound of it, is to put it up on jack stands, take the wheel off, and spin the axle on one side with as much force as you can by the wheel lug. If it slips, and you should be able to tell right away if it slips, then theyre bad. The process is very easy you just need the right tools. When youre driving say about 50mph you should hear a sound inside the cabin, not a whining noise. Roll the windows up itll be easier to tell.

Pewter
    '00 SS

Cool. Thanks

Thread Information