Thread: Quick Question

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Quick Question

So I was trying to install my fuel rail cover on the passenger side but had to take the EGR hose (Secondary air valve) off to move it around to get more room. When I did this the gasket fell under my car somewhere or in my engine and I couldn't find it for the life of me. I wound up using the heat tape that was on my fuel lines to act as a replacement gasket. I basically took a long enough piece of the tape and folded it in half so the metal side is shining on both sides. After that I drilled some holes into the tape for the bolts to fit into. I didn't bother drilling a hole for the valve since that damn SES light keeps coming on and I will remove the whole damn thing later on anyways. Question is, will the heat tape hold up as being a "gasket" for the time being?

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

No sir, Go ahead and pick up a gasket from your local parts store, If they dont carry it you could always use High temp gasket paper, if it leaks it will act almost like a razor and cut through anything that isnt metal in the area.
    I do give you credit for thinking on your feet though
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Really? I figured it would hold up since it is heat tape after all and supposed to protect against the engine temps. The bolts are also pretty tight so I wouldn't think it would rip and tear through anything. Do they sell that temp gasket paper at AdvanceAuto or something? I really don't know any shops around here that would carry the gasket for my car up front.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by chaosinfinite View Post
    Really? I figured it would hold up since it is heat tape after all and supposed to protect against the engine temps. The bolts are also pretty tight so I wouldn't think it would rip and tear through anything. Do they sell that temp gasket paper at AdvanceAuto or something? I really don't know any shops around here that would carry the gasket for my car up front.
    Header temps can get a lot hotter than the rest of the engine that's why it won't hold up for long. Think about this, the exhaust flowing through your header CAN (it may not but it could) get as hot as 1300 degrees Farenheit. That's also why you shouldn't run open headers because it can mess up the wiring under the car at those temperatures, and why most exhausts are run out the back of the car. I believe the reason is because the further it get's from the engine the faster the exhaust temps drop. I believe this is right, at least what a mechanic explained to me at one point in time. Also heat tape typically goes around a hose or wires too not in between 2 pieces of metal which get a lot hotter than other components in the engine.

2002 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by chaosinfinite View Post
    one time when i was changing the plugs i had to remove the same pipe after i got done i went to advance and they did't had the right size gasket. so i just went to the dealer and got a couple. i think it was like a dollar per gasket

Thread Information