Black
    2000 Trans AM WS6

Question on Hurst Shifters

I'm looking to upgrade the shifter in my 2000 ws6. Does anyone know the difference between the Hurst Billet Plus and the Hurst Competition Plus? Is one better than the other? Also, how do they compare with the Pro 5.0?

Any help would be much appreciated..thank you....

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

Thats a great question, and to add to it, whats the difference between those and the SLP Firehawk/SS Hurst short throw shifter (it is only 100 $). The thing is, I have a friend w/ a 01 WS.6 and i love his shifter, but im not sure if its the stock 1. Cuz there was a shift ball on it and an elelbrock muffler b4 he bough the car. So it could b the WS.6 hurst shifter w/ the shorter stick or it could b any of the above, but i know its not a pro 5.0, cuz i know what that feels like and its way different. Whatever that kids got in his WS.6 i want it, cuz it feels better than ony other shifter i've ever felt.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

To answer your questions, the slp hurst does not have as short of a throw as other aftermarkets and tend to be a little looser. The pro billet is what I have with a short stick and to be honest, I love it because it is the only SS out there with fully adjustable stops which customizes to your own feel. It's still into the gates and very tough to misshift. The competition isn't adjustable like the billet but still a good feel into the gears. The 5.0 has a very nice stiff feel with good contact into the gates.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I had the Stock Hurs shifter on my WS6, and personally I though it was complete garbage. It had a long throw (for being a supposed "short throw" shifter), very rubbery feel, and imprecise shift pattern. If you hustled 3rd gear, you'd often end up in 5th. Not cool at all when you're running down the track

I bought a Pro 5.0 to replace it, and the difference is night and day. Its like a totally different transmission. Shifts are positive and direct, with excellent feel. No noticeable play in the shifter at all. It just "snick-snicks" into each gear with the flick of the wrist, and I haven't missed 3rd gear once. It also has adjustable bump stops. I got mine for about $160 on eBay, I highly reccommend the Pro 5.0, I think its the best shifter available for the F-Body T56.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    I had the Stock Hurs shifter on my WS6, and personally I though it was complete garbage. It had a long throw (for being a supposed "short throw" shifter), very rubbery feel, and imprecise shift pattern. If you hustled 3rd gear, you'd often end up in 5th. Not cool at all when you're running down the track

I bought a Pro 5.0 to replace it, and the difference is night and day. Its like a totally different transmission. Shifts are positive and direct, with excellent feel. No noticeable play in the shifter at all. It just "snick-snicks" into each gear with the flick of the wrist, and I haven't missed 3rd gear once. It also has adjustable bump stops. I got mine for about $160 on eBay, I highly reccommend the Pro 5.0, I think its the best shifter available for the F-Body T56.
    Lots of people like the pro 5 -- I would recommend the B&M Ripper shifter myself. Next best thing to having an automatic. You don't really need to adjust the bump stops -- B&M recommends you don't unless you have weird shifting preferences, to paraphrase their comment in their install manual.
    (Was "Bolide," member since 5/2000). 2000 Camaro SS, M6. SLP Level 1 susp, SFCs + STB, cold air kit, 1.85-1 rockers, Race LCAs + Panhard, Richmond 3.73 gears, B&M Ripper, Shaner S2, MAF ends, Hypertech etc. 328 rwhp (stock tuning)

Thread Information