98 Formula
    06 duramax

question about a 90 buick

First off, never under any circumstances do a t-stat on a 90 buick with the 3800. That's the worst t-stat I've ever messed with. Secondly, never do it for a friend for free.
    That being said I noticed something with his car that I'm wondering if any of you have ever fixed. When you start his car I can hear what sounds like the heater vent door in the dash popping. I'm assuming it's probably sticking a little bit. Anyone ever fixed that issue without tearing the dash apart?

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

Oh, I can think of a ton of things harder than that silly thermostat and your other problem can be one of them.

I don't have the manuals here at home nor do I have a photographic memory of that setup but if I recall it isn't too hard to get at some of the works without pulling the dash. In many cases what you'll find is a vacuum hose that's somewhat deteriorated or, if it's the solenoid/motor operated version a bit of lubrication at the pivot point can often help. Sorry I can't be more specific, the HVAC varied in design on that year.

your door is sticking. That's the popping noise. It'll still open but it sticks a little bit when you first open it so it makes a popping sound. If you're really worried about it then you can go in and clean/lube it up, but you WILL have to take at least the glove box out. I'm not too sure about having to take the whole dash out tho...

Thread Information