Purchasing first F-Body, advice wanted!

Hi, I am new to the F-Body scene, and am looking to purchase one. I don't want to spend more than $7k, and so I would like advice on finding the best car for my money. I am currently looking at and about to check out a 2001 Formula Coupe with 66k Cars for Sale: 2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula in El Cajon, CA 92021: Coupe Details - 343566287 - AutoTrader.com

I talked to the guy on the phone, and he told me the known issues include the cd player isn't working, the window and the antenna don't work intermittently, and the thing that worries me the most is that the car has barely been driven in the past 2 years. Any advice for car buying is much appreciated, I have done a fair amount of research, but help would be great!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Look at it up close and during the day. Take note of how the engine sounds and take it for a test drive if allowed. If you hear a growling noise from the rear, the differential is on its way out. I am leaving some items out, but others will chime in to help.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

This will be of some help to you also

Guide to Buying a Fbody

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

From the pics I see some cosmetic ruff spots, mostly from the nose piece. A body shoe can repaint them for around $200-300, Other wise it's a nice Formula. Also on the door panels, unless it's a 98 you can expect them to crack. There are a few fixes for how to repair them and the dash pad. Like the others have posted look over and drive it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

on the surface that looks like a pretty good deal. That's a lot of car for $6500. Just need to make sure there are no major mechanical problems. Even if you need to put a few dollars in it fixing it up that's a nice buy. Might be worth the time to take it to a mechanic and have them look it over really good. I wouldn't worry about the limited miles the last couple years unless they didn't drive it because something was wrong with it.

I checked it out and everything was as he said. It ran really well,I used the guide and checked out the car pretty thoroughly. we settled on $6k because it needs tires and the window motor, but everything else was good. Do you guys think its a good price?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Price is always subjective. I paid more for our car than average and did so happily due to its great condition. As long as you are happy with your purchase, don't go second guessing it.

Congrats and welcome to the site!

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

Pretty good price on that car.
    Same car here in Michigan with 66k miles would be around $10,000

Thread Information