black
    1998 Camaro SS

puddle of oil in throttle body!!!!!

my car has had a high idle since i put heads/cam/intake swap. it also has been using a quart of oil about every week and half. well it has also been hesitating a bit so today i thought maybe some of the oil from the k&n got on the maf. so i took it apart and cleaned the maf and when i looked at the throttle body there was a puddle of oil layin there against the blade. what would be causing this? i did have to redo the pcv when i put new center bolt valve covers in. do i just need to get a catch can? but it still shouldnt be using that much oil though right?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Try the catch can first. Friends of mine are suggesting I get one soon since my car is modded. Should help.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

my ws6 eats rice gokillyourself's Avatar

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

do you have any breathers on your valve covers? i had that same problem so i took off the oil cap and replaced it with a breather, after i recleaned the maf, tb and inside the intake manifold, i have had no more oil in the tb, if you don't want to take the easy way, there is always the oil catch can.
    Last edited by gokillyourself; 05-09-2009 at 07:07 AM.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

ya i thought about getting a breather but everyone says not to. im not sure why but i think im going to get one now.

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by jmatt07 View Post
    ya i thought about getting a breather but everyone says not to. im not sure why but i think im going to get one now.
    back in the old days (1960's-70's) they always used a breather, they didn't have all this fancy bullshit that f*cks up your car, you know the old saying "they don't build them like they used to". and if you really think about it, many of these super modified muscle cars have breathers on them. so how would it be bad? me having a breather is great for my ls1, it helps keep it clean in the tb.
    Last edited by gokillyourself; 05-09-2009 at 07:06 AM.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

someone told me that a breather lets un-metered air in the engine and makes it not run right

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

did you adjust the TB? thats prob your idle issue, or you have a vac leak. when does it do it? how high does it idle?

black
    1998 Camaro SS

the high idle issue is pretty odd. i adjusted the tb as good as i could. it only high idles sometimes. like after i drive it for a while. what it does is if i hit the gas the idle will stay up at like 2000 and come down VERY slow like when im coming to a stop and about 5 seconds after i stop it will come down to like 1200. im wonderin if the fact that im burning so much oil if it has messed up plugs and screwed up my 02 sensors bc its throwin codes for them and i changed them out once already.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

the high idle issue is pretty odd. i adjusted the tb as good as i could. it only high idles sometimes. like after i drive it for a while. what it does is if i hit the gas the idle will stay up at like 2000 and come down VERY slow like when im coming to a stop and about 5 seconds after i stop it will come down to like 1200. im wonderin if the fact that im burning so much oil if it has messed up plugs and screwed up my 02 sensors bc its throwin codes for them and i changed them out once already.

sounds like your TB needs to be adjusted. do you know anyone with HP tuners that can hook your car up? you need to get your IAC count to 45-65 at warm idle. you are probly at about 0. the IAC really only comes into play once the car is warm. if you cant hook up to hp tuners, just turn the TB screw down about a 1/4 turn start the car drive till it gets warm then see how it does. do this untill it you reach your desired idle during warm operation. Make sure everytime you adjust the TB you turn the car off first, adjust it, then restart the car and try again. If you want it to be prefect your gunna need someone with hp tuners
    Last edited by Dr.Crash; 05-09-2009 at 03:42 PM.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Also Are you sure that you do not have a vac leak?

black
    1998 Camaro SS

ok i read sarge's post. i actually read it before but it kinda confused me. so just to get this straight i can put a breather on the passenger side and then plug all other holes in the passenger side valve cover right? And then for the drivers side i just run a 3/8 line to a pcv catch can and then to the throttle body and im good right? do i need a pcv valve at all then?

Stock
    2002 Camaro

ok i read sarge's post. i actually read it before but it kinda confused me. so just to get this straight i can put a breather on the passenger side and then plug all other holes in the passenger side valve cover right? And then for the drivers side i just run a 3/8 line to a pcv catch can and then to the throttle body and im good right? do i need a pcv valve at all then?

yes on the pass side, yes on the drivers side (get a huskey air/oil seperator from home depot, cheap), and no you can chuck the PCV valve. if you dont have one you need to get an LS6 valley cover so you can hook the catch can up to the valley cover and the intake. The LS6 valley covers are right around $55-60 (gm parts direct) plus shipping and that includes new bolts and a gasket. if you have a FASt manifold make sure you use the required bolts.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

im sorry but im confused. why do i need an ls6 valley cover. i dont see what it has to do with the pcv.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

This is sarges picture. do you see where the other line of the catch can goes. one to the intake and one to the LS6 valley cover. that might be the stock GTO but IDK

black
    1998 Camaro SS

ya i saw the way his is setup. i guess they are diff on 98's. bc i had to get center bolt valve covers and the way my pcv is, is there is a connection on back of drivers side valve cover, 2 connections on passenger side cover, they go into a T fitting and then into tb. im wondering if this is hurting my car to be driving it with that much oil going into tb.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

ya i saw the way his is setup. i guess they are diff on 98's. bc i had to get center bolt valve covers and the way my pcv is, is there is a connection on back of drivers side valve cover, 2 connections on passenger side cover, they go into a T fitting and then into tb. im wondering if this is hurting my car to be driving it with that much oil going into tb.
    ya its not good. a quart a week is bad. i used to go through a half quart every 3k miles. yes mine used to connect 1 on drivers,2on pass, then into TB. But what you do is cap off the the 2 pass side, get a vented oil cap, vent drivers side with that cheap filter, and use the catch can between the intake and valley cover

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

just try this first, replace the oil cap with a breather, drive it around for a while. then check your tb to see if anymore oil has collected in it again (my has stayed clean). if it is dirty again then add a catch can.

Thread Information