M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Proud new LS1 owner!

Hey all, i know ive posted before but i never really introduced myself, Im Yulian and i just recently bought a 2001 pontiac Trans Am. Its automatic with the ls1, no ws6, the previous owner installed a flowmaster muffler other than that its stock and it only has 8000 miles. I just wanted to learn a little more about my car and clear up some things. Ive been reading around and i wanted to know a couple of things, what exactly is a "QTP" cutout, i know it has to do with the exaust. Also ive read that f body ls1 from the factory produce 340 hp, but in order to not "steal the vettes thunder" they underated it, this is what ive read. But also i read that they produce 300? I plan on modding my car, and am planning to get some hooker super comp long tube headers, y pipe, k&n filter and that ram air mod i read about ealier. Is there any difference in the ws6 airbox? I also want to get a ram air hood, i gotta have that look! Sorry for the essay, Thanx.

I don't know the answer to all of your questions, but, can answer the f-body/corvette question. Basically GM restricted the air flow through the engine to reduce the f-body HP. Increasing the intake will get you there. Header & exhaust mods are a bonus. As part of the intake mods, a higher flowing throttle body is a must. There's a company that sells a 78mm ported TB with a thinner 78mm blade, removed upper cross shaft, & new bearings. It flows over 1000 CFM & costs much less than similar "new" models. If you want more info., you can e-mail the guy, xtremefi@sbdglobal.net. I don't recall their web site info., but, an e-mail will get you more information. He's kinda a wise ars, but, putting up w/ him is worth the low cost high flowing TB. A 1200 CFM rated air filter wouldn't hurt either. Port the MAF to 80MM or more. Good-luck.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Thanxs for the info, but didnt these engines come stock with 80mm TB's?

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

The QTP is an electric cutout, being w/ a flip of the switch it can be opened or closed.

I just got a regular cutout and leave it open. Best $20 Ive ever spent!

The hp rating are always gonna vary but Ive seen stock Ls1s do from 290 to 324 stock on a mustang dyno. Now this is "actual" hp, so the flywheel numbers will be greater.

LET ME BE THE FIRST THE TELL YOU...

Get a stall first! With a nice 3200+ stall you can shave off .5 off your 1/4 time!

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

also, post up pics of that bird, thats a pretty rare color

Quote Originally Posted by RAWPWR3
    Thanxs for the info, but didnt these engines come stock with 80mm TB's?
    Have a look. You'll see how it's necked down just before the throttle body plate. The diameter of the plate itself is actually 75mm. The opening before it is closer to 71mm. This is the way that the TB on my 99 LS1 Camaro engine is & I think this was the case through 2002 models. I could be wrong & haven't looked it up lately to see for sure. If yours is larger through the complete TB, please let me know. The other difference in the ported TB mentioned in the post is the removed upper shaft. This allows for even more flow.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

[IMG]car pics[/IMG]

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Sorry fellas but i dont know how to post pics. I just tried and i had to create a new account with msn an everything and i still cant do it. LS1-450, i checked out my throttle body, i got a centimeter ruler and measured it and no lie, it was 9.5cm or 95mm from inside to inside at the middle! I could stick my closed fist in it! But it does like a cone shape toward the butterfly, and i estimated it at 75mm at the butterfly. None the less, thats pretty big, and once again thanx everyone for the input.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Get yourself a nice set of Sub Frame Connectors and a lid first

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Thanks Hurley, does anyone know where i can get that stuff at a good price? Summit Racing has a Granatelli motors sports lid for 129 bucks, and granatelli also sells sub frame connectors for $189 through summit.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Granatelli=overpriced

BMR for SFC, they also have rear arms for a good price, get yourself a nice SLP lid new for $95 or a used lid from another member for under $80

Quote Originally Posted by RAWPWR3
    LS1-450, i checked out my throttle body, i got a centimeter ruler and measured it and no lie, it was 9.5cm or 95mm from inside to inside at the middle! I could stick my closed fist in it! But it does like a cone shape toward the butterfly, and i estimated it at 75mm at the butterfly. None the less, thats pretty big, and once again thanx everyone for the input.

OK, thanks for the confirmation. It's the same 75mm TB. Good-luck w/ your upgrades & enjoy your new ride.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by BadBlueBird*
    also, post up pics of that bird, thats a pretty rare color
    No shit^^^^...congratulations man...before you start modding...I'd consider keeping her just as is......you got one rare bird there...drive it like you stole it friend...dont do nothing to her...enjoy what you have found and bought......

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Thanks guys i appreciate all the comments. I know what ya mean Sarge, after i purchased the car i went online to see how much other cars similar to mine were going for, and low miles bone stock cars were running for 50,60, and even 70 grand! Some had as low as 12 miles and still had the plastic on the seats from the dealer! And cars closer to mine with 4 to 7000 miles were still going for 30 to 40 grand. I got mine at a steal at 20 flat.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Here ya go fellas, try this to see if it works to get a look at some pics of my bird and some sneek peeks of my other cars.
    http://www.msnusers.com/TransAmpics/shoebox.msnw?Page=1

Very Nice, take care of it

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Thank you, and you can bet ill take care of her real good! By the way does anyone know if all the stickers and decals its got on it were a factory option. They look very well done, and this car came with a bunch of options(the car still had the window sticker). It has the chrome alloy rims,3.23 gears with an electronically controled limited slip diff., the Monsoon 10 speaker sound system, and a factory installed alarm. Im pretty sure thats it.

BlackHawk T/A
    Neither the "FIREBIRD" under the driver headlight nor the bird on the hood are factory.

Nice color.

Thread Information