Junior Member LIVINGTHEDREAMLIFE's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS6 Prod #115

Proper Vehicle Storage

I Have A 2001 Ws6 And Have Been Slowly Modifiying Over The Years. I Bought It Brand New And It Currently Has Only 3k Miles On It. I Have Heard Many Mixed Opinions About Storing It Properly...

So, How Often Does The Board Feel This Car Should, Be Started, Driven And So Forth? How Far Does It Need To Be Driven? How Long Does It Have To Run When It's Started? Are There Any Special Fluids I Should Be Adding To Either The Engine Or Gas?

Thanks For Your Time,
    Chris

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Are you referring to winter storage? Well, I just pulled mine out of mothballs, had her stored for a good year because I had an issue with smog and had to have it sit for awhile. Well, from my experience and from research, there is a good list of things to get done. First off, the gas tank has to be full and you should use stabil to keep the gas from going bad. Full tank helps prevent condensation in the tank. Oils should be changed to new oil and completely filled. You should park your car on tread savers or thick carpet to prevent flat spots. Disconnect your battery and keep it on a trickle charger. Leave your windows slightly cracked. They sell interior savers on summit which helps aid in absorbing condesation preventing mold and mildew buildup. I believe that's about it besides putting it under a car cover. If I'm forgetting anything which I think I am, someone just chime on in

be sure to protect the fuel lines and fuel rail with something added to the gas.if you put it away with ANY ethanol mix in the fuel you will not be happy when you take it out of storage.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS6 Prod #115

Let Me Clarify...my Ws6 Is In Storage All Year Round. Like I Said It Is Almost 6 Years Old With Only 3,000 Miles. I Only Drive It To Shows And On A Sunday Or Two A Year. So How Often Should It Be Started And Driven So Gaskets And Seals Don't Crack And Dry Rot?

What I've Been Doing Is Starting It And Driving It For About A Mile One Time A Month... Is This O.k.?

1 of 396 T/A Conv 2001 Wayah-bird's Avatar

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

My '01 has 4,500 miles. I had a '96 Formula before this one and the same low mileage use. If I find myself idle for approximately 3 or more weeks I make sure I take it for at least a 5-10 mile drive to get the engine up to operating temperature and to get any moisture out of the exhaust, etc.. This keeps the seals and everything else in perfect condition. I have no traffic where I live so I can open it up a little as well once warmed up. You may need to try a different approach if you have nothing but traffic and traffic lights. I just took the car on a 200 mile round trip and it was 'as new' with no problems. During a recent oil change I also had the dealership look it over with one of those multi-point inspections and they found nothing wrong or needed. They agreed with my philosophy and I'll just pass it along to you since we are very similar in our driving habits. Driving just a simple 30 miles a month during 'non-use' times only puts 360 miles a year on the car if you did not use it otherwise, basically nothing, and keeps the car in new running condition.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS6 Prod #115

Thanks For The Help Everyone!

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

damn, i wanna see this car!

Thread Information