Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Firebird Formula

Problems fueling up?

Does anyone else here have problems when they're trying to fuel up? Sometimes I'll put the nozzle in and it will put in about half a gallon and then cut off, as if the tank is full. This morning it did that about five or six times before finally letting it fill the tank. It ended up taking 13.7 gallons, so I know it wasn't close to full already. Anybody?

Red
    '02 WS6

Have you ever read on the stations pump that you are not supposed to "top off" your tank? Well the gas stations fuel pump nozzles frequently get fouled from too many people "topping off" from the excess gas going back into the end of the nozzle where all the tiny holes are at. The 'birds are especially sensitive to nozzles that are "fouled" in this manner. Also, When I first got my pre-owned TA I had significant trouble filling the tank. Well I did some checking and found a five foot long peice of 1/2" dia rubber siphon hose jambed down in the filler neck. I managed to remove it with some trouble and now the tank is more easily filled but with the majority of pumps it still has slight issues with it wanting to kick the flow off.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

My T/A doesnt do that but my Roush has always done that, bought it off the show room floor. I just figured that the gas tank is in an awkward position or something. Better not be some damn 5ft hose in my tank.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

black
    2002 WS6

I've had it happen a few times, I don't put the nozel all the way in and rotate it slightly works like a charm.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I had the same problem with my 97, but my 98 never had that problem yet. Nothing I did would make it pump nonstop.

Pewter
    '07 Silverado

I only have that problem when I try to fill it up with the pump on full blast. I just set the trigger on the pump about half way and it works like a charm. My last car was the same way, maybe a little worse.

1966 Corvette Coupe

a guy i work with ask me about this not too long ago... his seams to happen when the car is warm for some reason... his car fills fine if hte just starts it and runs it downt he road to the station, but if he tries to get gas when its hot he cat get it...

i think it might be some thing odd with the antisyphen ball (im assuming fbodies have this) like swelling for some reason...

-me

Red
    '02 WS6

filled mine up this morning with a pump nozzle that did not have the emissions holes in the end of it and it never kicked back, filled just fine.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Well, its obvious that it has alot to do with the pressure that builds up. If you have ever been filling up a gas can and submerge the nozzle in the fuel, it will kick off. Maybe the fuel neck in some of our cars just is not lined up correct. We are not idiots and don't know how to pump gas!

Thread Information