Black
    1997 Trans Am

Unhappy Problem With Odometer & Turn Signal

Hey guys,

I'm a little ashamed to be on the forum with an LT1 car, but I figured you guys would probably know more about 4th generation f bodies than just about anyone else on the net, so I thought I'd ask here first.

I've got a 1997 Trans Am, black, with an LT1 and T56.

My right turn signal stopped working. When I click the control wand upward, the right green turn signal comes on, and stays on. It does not flash, as the left one does. In addition to this, no signal is going to the tail light. The tail light does not flash or come on at all for that matter. In addition to this, my digital odometer and tripometer recently went out. The bulb was replaced and still nothing. I think the problems might be associated with one another.

I own a 1997 f body service manual from GM, and it says nothing about turn signal problems or odometer problems.

I figure that a fuse must have busted somewhere, or perhaps a fusible link burned out. I've checked all of the fuses in the interior box, as well as the cluster of fuses under the hood.

I'm out of ideas guys - any suggestions?

Thanks,

Don
    Last edited by Black Roc; 02-04-2010 at 02:17 PM.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

For the signal problem check all your bulbs on that side. One is probably burned out or has a corroded socket. Are the numbers out or just the backlight of the odometer?

Black
    1997 Trans Am

The numbers are out completely. I'll try cleaning the connections to that bulb and replace it.
    Last edited by Black Roc; 02-04-2010 at 02:17 PM.

2002 Arctic White T/A Ws6islife's Avatar

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

most likely is going to be ur right daytime runnin light...i had the same problem and today leaving work it happend again this happedn to me about 4 months ago what i did is i took the light housing out..and i drilled the holes in the bottom of the light, because water gets into the housing and just keeps it hummid inthere well electricity and humidity dont mix in a closed place so the connection corrodes eventually and possibly blowing ur bulb out..more than likely just your connection is corroded...many trans am have this problem, about the same issue when u hear about the Trans am Tail light saga or water in your taillight, so chck the connection put some of that bulb grese stuff from autozone and problem fixed..hoped i helped and sorry for me writing a book

_2002_ArticWhite_Trans_Am_

Black
    1997 Trans Am

I wouldn't think that humidity would be a problem out here in AZ, but nevertheless I'll tear apart the dash and see if I can find something like that. Thank you.

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

well any rain at all like any little water even when you wash ur car water will get trapped in there causin to corrode that fixture just now 10 mins ago i whent to look at my stuff cus the porlbem has came back and well enough the bulb is black and orange cus it burned out and the fixture is all corroded like when u see that buildup on your car battery..

Metallic Pewter
    2002 SLP Firehawk

its somethign with our lights that crack either under the head of the bulbs or water finds a way in and i man i drilled holes in mine happens to be that i didnt drill this only one and that one just whent out..

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by Black Roc View Post
    I wouldn't think that humidity would be a problem out here in AZ, but nevertheless I'll tear apart the dash and see if I can find something like that. Thank you.
    For the bulb issue check taillights, marker, and turn signals.

2011 Prius

Yep, had that problems when I first got my 98 Trans Am, bad socket was my case. Front passenger on mine.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

I agree, check your tail light signals too. Once you start getting corrosion on the sockets you can get intermittent problems. Lights will blink some days or not, and then you check the bulbs and they are perfect. I had this problem all the time on my 99 Caramo. Eventually the sockets got so bad I had to replace them. I would not recommend using sand paper or emery board to clean the connections. I would pull them a part and use baking soda and a little water. There are two little tabs and it is a real pain, but the inner part with the connections do come apart. I had corrosion on the bottom of mine, where you can't see. I know the sanding idea will shorten the life of the connections and allow corrosion to happen more frequently. If you end up needing to replace a corroded socket. You can find them at Auto Zone, if you have those near you. I tried other local stores and no one had them. You can also try Napa. They are pretty good for find AC Delco parts.

good luck.

Thread Information