Thread: Primer painting

Silver
    2006 Pontiac G6

Smile Primer painting

Hey,
    I've never painted a vehicle before but I wanted to try it on my project car. I've decided to do this because some parts of my nova are starting to develop a little bit of rust and I want to stop it from spreading. I know I should remove that rust first but other than that I know nothing about this skill. Also, I'm planning on painting my car black in the future and I think I've seen some vehicles primered white beforehand, does anybody know why that is? I'd like to learn as much as I can before I get started. Thanks

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by Josh_J View Post
    Hey,
    I've never painted a vehicle before but I wanted to try it on my project car. I've decided to do this because some parts of my nova are starting to develop a little bit of rust and I want to stop it from spreading. I know I should remove that rust first but other than that I know nothing about this skill. Also, I'm planning on painting my car black in the future and I think I've seen some vehicles primered white beforehand, does anybody know why that is? I'd like to learn as much as I can before I get started. Thanks
    There is this red stuff that is rust inhibitor. Spray that on the vehicle but first sand out the rust spray the red stuff. Let the red stuff dry and prime the vehicle. The good primer is yellow not white. After you get done priming it sand the whole vehicle down so that it is all flush then block it down for parts that you missed.

First of all you need to protect all the things you do not want painted. COver them up with plastic and paper.

Where do you plan on painting? If your going to paint in the garage you need to have a ventilation unit. Do it at night as when the ventilation unit is running it will turn your neighbor's house/shrubs/grass to the color of the primer if it is in the wrong place but it has to go somewhere.

Now are you sure you still want to paint the whole car if so just say yes...
    Last edited by Hot head; 04-19-2011 at 04:15 AM.

White
    83 Datsun 280ZX

I've used a few rust inhibitors, and yet to find a bad one (although I'm sure that they are out there). POR-15 is probably one of my favorites. Sand the area real good. Brush it on, and let it dry. If you need to, it'll even take bondo at this point. Then prime and paint.

I can't help much with the painting part; I've only done one car so far and was so paranoid of runs that I applied the paint too dry.

Thread Information