Exclamation Powerwash engine bay.....anyone???

I know this may send up red flags for some people but the engine is covered in mud and I have moved the CPU to the inside of the cab and it stays dry but it's time to clean out the engine and all it's surroundings.

Has anyone here done this and what are the full precautions?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I've done mine at the car wash. I just sprayed it down real quick and didn't spend too much time on any one place. Just used a sweeping motion. I tried to stay away from the Maf and TB. Most cars today are designed for the engine and engine compartments to get wet. Just don't go blasting the hell out of it with a powerwasher though.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

It should be fine!! Just as long as some wanna be tech hasn't hacked into your harness and made splices and other bad connections. As far as the sensors they use a "weather tight" connector which is sealed so it's fine to spray with pressure froma DISTANCE.... NOT WITH THE WAND TIP 2" FROM THE CONNECTOR.

As far as a cleaner......Don't use any type of "engine degreaser"!!
    We use K&N air filter cleaner. It works 20 times better!! Not to mention your car won't smell like that BS degreaser for the next 2 monthes nor have that nasty film that sh_t leaves behind. If you have ANY polished alumminum under there DON'T spray with cleaner!!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I go against the norm on this subject. Most people wash their engines with garden hoses and pressure washers. I never use either. Just a box of rags, some q-tips, and assorted goods that help me clean in the hard to reach places. IMO there's just to much electrical stuff on todays cars to spray water all over the place. Maybe if you wrapped the fuse boxes and pcm with plastic grocery bags or something. I've read where people have gotten water under the intake and killed the knock sensors. If I were to use water it would definitely be very low pressure. Like a garden hose folded in half or something but I just use elbow grease and rags.

Thanks guys.......................I'll hose it off this weekend.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I understand Orion view on this..... But all I can say is I have pressure washed hundreds over the past 15 years and only had a issue once!!!
    And that was on a 80's car with a HEI and the power wire had been replaced before with just a female spade connector. So the pressure just blew the wire out of the distributor. Easy fix.
    But I've NEVER had a problem with the PCM or other sensors.

Sweet

white
    2002 z28

shouldnt you have the engine on when doing this ?? it might just be a old wives tale

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

No Not Needed!!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

I agree with LS2Tuner, you can pressure wash that biotch just fine. i clean mine all the time. i had one issue on my buddies truck in high school on his TBI silverado. a little water got under the distributor and that was it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Yeah, I'm not saying it can't be done. Tons of people do it on a regular basis. I just choose not to and do it the hard way. That way no water gets anywhere I don't absolutely want it to. Oh yeah, I've had zero issues doing it that way.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    shouldnt you have the engine on when doing this ?? it might just be a old wives tale
    Don't have it on while you're spraying it but right after. I always bring it up to running temp to burn off any water that got under the intake manifold and around the knock sensors.

Thread Information