Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Question Power window hitting door?

When I operate my driver side power window, it feels as if the motor is banging against the outer part of the door.. anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions or ideas??

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like something may have come loose in there. Probably need to pop the door panel off to see what is going on.

White
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Sounds like something may have come loose in there. Probably need to pop the door panel off to see what is going on.
    Yeah.. that's what I figured.. looks like I will be doing both window motors lol..

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Does the window wobble?

White
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Does the window wobble?
    No, it doesn't seem to at all.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Well that's a good sign. The motors do flex the fiberglass some. It could also be a crappy repair of the motor. A common fix is using bolts instead of rivets. Check to see if they came loose.

White
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Well that's a good sign. The motors do flex the fiberglass some. It could also be a crappy repair of the motor. A common fix is using bolts instead of rivets. Check to see if they came loose.
    Definitely will.. thanks for the input

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I had a customer come into my work for the same reason. The center pivot point of the driver front regulator had seemed to collapse on itself causing a loud scraping noise. I lubed the pivot point but advised the customer if the noise came back, the regulator would need to be replaced. Was a Toyota Sienna.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

White
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I had a customer come into my work for the same reason. The center pivot point of the driver front regulator had seemed to collapse on itself causing a loud scraping noise. I lubed the pivot point but advised the customer if the noise came back, the regulator would need to be replaced. Was a Toyota Sienna.
    I'm not sure this is the same issue.. mine isn't so much a "noise", I just feel it hitting.. and it's not the outside of the door like I originally thought.. it's the inside.. I haven't had a chance to take the door apart yet...hopefully soon.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Sounds like possibly a bolt backed out of the track that connects to the glass. Keep us posted. Check everything inside the door.

White
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Sounds like possibly a bolt backed out of the track that connects to the glass. Keep us posted. Check everything inside the door.
    Yeah, I will do that

Black
    2000 Firebird Formula

As evidenced by this thread, the power windows on these cars have some flaws.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/manual-...ormula-162508/
    Eventually I was able to get mine working again because of a loose fitting connector on the motor, I bit the bullet and hard wired the motor.
    I couldn't find it, but I believe I commented on another thread, more relevant to the specifics of this one, that I noticed that when the windoze
    get to the down position, that it pushes the inside of the door in, something I saw from day 1. This leads me to believe that like the fine headlight
    door system, the motor stop circuits are overcurrent deactivated. On the upshot, it's a hard stop mechanically, but on the downstroke, you're at
    the mercy of plastic. Wrong material for a door. I got to the point where I would never put the windows all the way down, always left an inch or
    so sticking up. Hope this heps.

2000 Formula - 6spd & t-tops
    300,000 + smiles

White
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by chuckstop00 View Post
    Eventually I was able to get mine working again because of a loose fitting connector on the motor, I bit the bullet and hard wired the motor.
    I couldn't find it, but I believe I commented on another thread, more relevant to the specifics of this one, that I noticed that when the windoze
    get to the down position, that it pushes the inside of the door in, something I saw from day 1. This leads me to believe that like the fine headlight
    door system, the motor stop circuits are overcurrent deactivated. On the upshot, it's a hard stop mechanically, but on the downstroke, you're at
    the mercy of plastic. Wrong material for a door. I got to the point where I would never put the windows all the way down, always left an inch or
    The information is helpful, however.. I don't think mine is an issue of the window hitting the door.. the "thump" of something hitting the door happens immediately when I pus the power window button in either direction.. it doesn't happen again at the end of travel (in either direction)..

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by CD99Firebird View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckstop00 View Post
    The information is helpful, however.. I don't think mine is an issue of the window hitting the door.. the "thump" of something hitting the door happens immediately when I pus the power window button in either direction.. it doesn't happen again at the end of travel (in either direction)..
    Sounds like the regulator is moving around when the motor first kicks on.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

White
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    Sounds like the regulator is moving around when the motor first kicks on.
    hmm.. seems like that could be bad news.. any "how-to's" on changing the regulator?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Our driver door will flex slightly when the window bottoms out. I always stop it just shy of the full down position. Completely agree that the design and execution of our power windows leaves a lot to be desired. It is what it is though...

Black / White

hmm.. seems like that could be bad news.. any "how-to's" on changing the regulator?
    I wouldnt worry about changing it until you make sure its secure. You could have a rivet or bolt that came loose that is allowing play in the system when the motor kicks on to move the window up or down. The window up and down motion depends on the regulator mounting points being completely stationary with zero play or movement otherwise you get noises and a sloppy window movement. I've had to deal with it myself and it turned out to be that the mounting bolts were loose which allowed it to move...hopefully thats all your problem is because it was a pretty easy fix.

White
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

I wouldnt worry about changing it until you make sure its secure. You could have a rivet or bolt that came loose that is allowing play in the system when the motor kicks on to move the window up or down. The window up and down motion depends on the regulator mounting points being completely stationary with zero play or movement otherwise you get noises and a sloppy window movement. I've had to deal with it myself and it turned out to be that the mounting bolts were loose which allowed it to move...hopefully thats all your problem is because it was a pretty easy fix.
    I haven't opened the door panel yet.. but.. before I do, is there somewhere that is posted to show where the regulator is inside the door panel? I don't want to be lost once I open it up lol... thanks.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

PM sent.

Black / White

I haven't opened the door panel yet.. but.. before I do, is there somewhere that is posted to show where the regulator is inside the door panel? I don't want to be lost once I open it up lol... thanks.
    It's bolted/riveted to the fiberglass door frame. If you don't mind, once you take the door panel off please take some pictures of the door frame so we can get an idea of what's going on.

Thread Information